Author Topic: CD Player in-dash install questions for a '78 C20  (Read 3529 times)

Offline alhrensblade

CD Player in-dash install questions for a '78 C20
« on: March 07, 2005, 09:54:00 AM »
I'm looking at replacing the dead stock radio with a standard-size Sony CD player. I've got a pattern sketched onto the trim panel, but I was curious as to what the best way to go about mounting the bracket would be? Should I try to attach it to the trim panel, or to the dash itself? Either way, I haven't cut a hole yet, but music, to me, is as much a priority as replacing the severely bent hood, so I'd like to take care of it asap. ^^

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: CD Player in-dash install questions for a '78 C20
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »
I wouldn't use the plastic dash as a supporting structure for a radio, it will break.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 77c15

• Frequent Member
  • combustion=suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • My cardomain site...
tips for install
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 10:27:00 PM »
I put a CD player in my truck this past weekend, and all I used was a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. The plastic bezel should be cut so that the radio will clear, and the best way to do the metal dash is use a permanent marker and trace around the metal radio support "slider" bracket. Then, cut just to the inside of the line. Then, you can put the "slider" in and bend the tabs to help hold the radio in place. Hope this helps!
-Mike

Stomp my flag and I will stomp your @$$!