Author Topic: rear ac not blowing cold  (Read 5459 times)

Offline Zachary Halman

rear ac not blowing cold
« on: August 22, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »
I have a 1987 chevy suburban r10. I can't get the rear ac to blow anything but hot air. I charged the system. Front blows ice cubes. Is there a different place to charge the rear?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: rear ac not blowing cold
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:52:40 AM »
The front and rear AC are a joined system with shared high and low pressure service ports at the front of the vehicle.  However, the rear AC unit has its own expansion valve to control refrigerant flow through the rear evaporator core, independently of the front.  Assuming the system is properly charged, the most likely cause is a bad expansion valve.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Zachary Halman

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 12:33:59 PM »
Thank you. I will check when I get off work. Would the expansion valve be located by the rear blower motor?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 02:00:01 PM »
Yes.  And, it's an actual expansion valve, not an orifice tube.  However, trouble with an expansion valve usually indicates other problems.  Have you ever opened the system for parts replacement?
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline Zachary Halman

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
Not in the rear. I replaced the compressor and o-rings and orifice tube last summer. Ever since then it's blown ice cubes out of the front. But when I turn on the rear ac it does not blow cold air

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 05:46:12 PM »
Did you replace the accumulator, flush the system and replenish the oil?
Rich

Offline Zachary Halman

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 05:34:07 AM »
My uncle did that part, but yes. He said we were doing the bare minimum to get it working as I did not have enough money to do the whole system( front and rear. I'm still learning.lol

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 12:33:59 PM »
First, the accumulator contains a fabric bag filled with desiccant (a granulated substance that absorbs moisture to maintain system efficiency and prevent acid formation).  The desiccant has a limited capacity to capture and trap moisture before becoming saturated and losing effectiveness. 

Second, over long-term use and component vibration the desiccant granules mechanically abrade.  As a consequence of saturation and abrasion, the grains gradually break down into a powder.  Once the powder is ground fine enough it washes through the walls of the bag and distributes throughout the system, forming a dark gray-brown coating.  Where the powder accumulates locally, it has the consistency of a fine abrasive mud.  The net effect of the 'mud' is to clog orifices, "stick" small moving parts, interfere with heat transfer and hinder overall system efficiency. 

Third, the accumulator functions as a filter, trapping some of the metallic and polymer particles that break free from the compressor and get sliced off of o-rings. 

Unfortunately, a welded accumulator cannot be cleaned and its desiccant cannot be dried or replaced.  Essentially, the A/C accumulators used on our trucks are "consumable" components that possess limited service lives.  So, the rule of thumb is to replace the accumulator anytime a major component (such as the compressor, condenser, evaporator, or expansion device) is replaced.  To accompany accumulator replacement, if there is evidence of 'gray mud' or aluminum/Teflon particles lodged in the orifice tube filter screen, the system should be thoroughly and methodically flushed.

IMO, A/C systems should be flushed and their accumulators replaced every 7-10 years, even if they are still functioning properly - just to address the problem of accumulator service life.

----------------------------------

Concerning the rear A/C on your Suburban, remove the rear expansion valve.  Disconnect the A/C lines from the rear evaporator core and from their connection to the front lines near the firewall.  Flush the rear evaporator core and all of the rear lines independently. 

Whether the accumulator was previously replaced or not, remove the accumulator.  Remove and inspect the front orifice tube.  If the orifice tube is clean and free of debris, reinstall it with new o-rings.  However, if the orifice tube has debris lodged in its filter screen, or if it is 'muddy,' disconnect the front A/C lines (including the lines to the compressor) and flush the condenser core, the front evaporator core, and all of their lines.  DO NOT FLUSH THE COMPRESSOR or any line while it is still connected to the compressor!

Pour the appropriate amount of fresh refrigerant oil directly into a NEW ACCUMULATOR and reassemble the system using a new rear expansion valve and all new o-rings.  A "universal" rule of thumb is 1 oz of oil for each condenser or evaporator flushed clean, 2 oz for a NEW accumulator and, because of the length of the lines running to the rear, an additional 2 oz for the pair of rear lines.  For specific oil capacities and component replacement procedures refer to Section 1B of the 1987 Service Manual.  Evacuate, leak check, charge and enjoy some cold air!
Rich

Offline Zachary Halman

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 04:16:57 PM »
First off, thank you very much sir. I'm really appreciative of the time you took to type all of that information. I am going to do a complete overhaul on my ac system. Thinking about replacing everything except the  compressor as itis still new.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 05:02:04 PM »
Remember to wear eye protection and recover the existing refrigerant using an approved machine before opening the system.  Good luck with your repair.
Rich