Author Topic: A/C compressor won't cycle  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Wolffcattleco

A/C compressor won't cycle
« on: May 19, 2016, 11:14:39 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm new to the site but from what I've read over the boards there are a ton of you that have turning wrenches down to a fine science. I'm pretty confident my few problems would be a cake walk for you guys and I appreciate the help along with everyone else I'm sure.
 I'm trying to work a few kinks out on my old truck I've had since I was a kid that I recently restored. First was carb issues which I posted earlier this week and I have that issue ironed out I think.
Second issue is I put a 90's style serpentine kit on front of motor from summit racing which come with the newer style pancake compressor but it won't cycle. Just runs non stop. A/c is super cold in cab, couldn't be better,but condensor puts off so much heat that with fan pulling that heat in gets radiator hot which then temp gauge gets dangerously hot. Cut ac off temp comes back to 180. Everything new on ac system and I thought that pressure switch on dryer cut comp on off but not sure now. Maybe you fellas know a remedy for this problem. By the way pickup is a 1986 Chevrolet K-30 factory single wheel with 454 thanks again

Offline Chuck Step-a-side

• Registered Users
Re: A/C compressor won't cycle
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 05:57:50 PM »
I don't know if your heating problem is AC or engine cooling related, but I have found the serpentine belt drive on my 1984 Stepside truck rotated in the opposite  direction and locating a water pump and fan blade that's designed to go counter clockwise solved my overheating problem. FYI - previous owner dropped a 1987 350 center bolt V8 with a serpentine assembly from a S-10.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 06:17:51 PM »
Agreed, and to help with yourt ac diagnostics you will need to provide operating pressures. Also what is the compressor you are running?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Wolffcattleco

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:16:10 PM »
Yeah water pump and fan run counter clockwise and pull air like crazy. Brand new radiator also. I drove truck today 60 mile round trip checking some cows on a lease place and never got over 180 degrees. It's been raining here in Texas all day and high was around 70 degrees. I run ac little just to see if it would cycle but never did but truck didn't get hot I guess to cool outside. I'm pretty sure that compressor is an ac Delco R4. Haven't put gauges on it since we charged so I don't know pressure now. I'm sure after awhile not kicking off and as hot as condensor gets high side way on up there. An ol boy told me today about on the back of compressor there's a round spot with a circle clip and he thought maybe there was a switch that goes there? Maybe yall heard of this. Thanks for the help

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »
No, it has a high pressure relief valve. Although your factory system was a cycling clutch orifice tube system, there's no telling what it will do if we don't know what compressor you are running and what the op pressures are. Variable displacement compressors most likely won't cycle which is why I asked and I assume you are running R134A. Regardless, if you are pulling the correct volume of air, you have the correct rotation water pump and simply running the AC overheats the engine, I think you have something else happening. Is it really overheating or the gauge is reading high?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10