Author Topic: 87 chevy cracked frame from steering box fix  (Read 9855 times)

Offline WhiteLightning76

87 chevy cracked frame from steering box fix
« on: January 26, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post. i have 76 gmc bonanza that had been wrecked, bent the frame, so i bought a frame off of my buddy that was a 87. the truck that this frame originated from, ran some pretty wide tires. the frame near the steering box was cracked around the mounting holes. the cracks were welded but they were ''good buddy'' welds. (not my work) but now one of the mounting holes for the steering box doesnt even line up and i wouldnt feel safe running just 3 bolts. ive seen these support panels that look just like the frame just welded over. now my question is, could i just cut the frame section off of my 76 frame and just weld it over it like the support panel? ive heard the older 70's frames were made better than the newer 80s. or are the kits that are made just better all around.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: 87 chevy cracked frame from steering box fix
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 10:21:59 AM »
Welcome to the Forum and site!

That's a lot of work.  Why not just move the hole?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline WhiteLightning76

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »
the frame is still cracked in places, the welds are not that good at all. i was thinking  grind it all down, weld up the cracks, and put that piece  over it in hopes that it wont crack again. thanks

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 12:37:34 PM »
Here is food for thought:

87 R10 Cracked Frame Repair @ Steering Gear

Re: 86 chevy 2wd frame cracks

Another frame cracking at steering gear question, 2wd

Re: 76 c10 project

cracked frame 79 k10

Need help Steering box Frame= not good.

Re: Frame cracks around upper shock mounts

Each of these threads have relevant data that apply to your situation if you take the time to read through them.  The frame can be repaired.  The main point to consider at this stage is preparation for a resolute and lasting solution.  Adding a steering box reinforcement is a good approach once the cracks are properly terminated with drilled holes, v'd out and then welded from both sides and ground flush with the original surface.  Be careful of adding too much reinforcement lest you concentrate excessive stress at the ends of the repair.  The aftermarket fishplates are a good approach, because they do not cover the radii of the flanges where they meet the rail, allowing for some flex through the repaired area.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline WhiteLightning76

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 02:22:23 PM »
thanks for the information, it looks like youve covered this topic a lot lol. i think i may just go ahead and purchase the weld on kit, and grind the welds down and start over. i have a buddy whose a certified welder, ill post pics of the progress when i get around to it.

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 04:48:42 PM »
 I would take the good section of frame from your 76, cut out the bad of the newer frame, weld it in, fish plate, then get a brace kit from Off Road Design.

The problem with cleaning up the welds and fixing the holes is it partially solves the problem, even when overlapping with the repair. Having been fixed before the metal is now weakened through the repeated heating of welding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline blazer74

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:46:21 PM by blazer74 »

Offline hatzie

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 01:54:39 PM »
Rich. 
Nice work on the shock mount load brackets.  They put the ORD setups to shame.
SVC & wiring mans --> Here http://tinyurl.com/7387BRD-SVCMAN or My Bucket @ http://tinyurl.com/SQ-SVCMAN
Parts & Illustr Books -->http://tinyurl.com/SqParts
GMSTG Textbooks-->http://tinyurl.com/STG-TEXTBK
Radio Manuals-->http://tinyurl.com/DELCORADSVC

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
Thanks
Rich