73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > 4 Wheel Drives

4WD Front Wheel Bearing Pre-load?

(1/3) > >>

Jon87V20:
I'm replacing both front rotors, hub assemblies, calipers, and all wheel bearings on my '87 Suburban V20 today.

I'm trying to figure out what to do about the bearing pre-load. I'm getting some conflicting information when I'm looking around about this. I'm seeing videos where people are pre-loading the bearing to 50 ft-lbs., then backing it off an eighth of a turn, I'm also seeing in the Service Manual PDF that you should never pre-load the front bearings as it will cause premature failure.

When I took the driver's side apart yesterday, the outer spindle nut was basically finger tight, and the inner one didn't take much effort to get out either.

Any advice is much appreciated as I would really like to get this all back together today. Need the truck for work on Monday.

Thanks!

VileZambonie:
Adjust the bearings by rotating the hub and tightening the inner adjusting nut to 50 ft. lbs., then loosening it and retightening to 35 ft. lbs. Next, back the nut off 3/ 8turn or less. Turn the nut to the nearest hole in the lockwasher. Install the outer locknut and torque to a minimum of 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm) on 1980 models, 160-205 ft. lbs. (216-277 Nm) on 1981 and later 1/ 2and 3/ 4ton models, and 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm) on 1 ton vehicles. There should be 0.001-0.010 in. bearing end-play. This can be measured with a dial indicator.

Jon87V20:
Ok. Thanks, Vile. By the way, I have to ask, what's going on in your profile picture there? Some kind of action figure or something?

VileZambonie:
It's the toy that became Omega Supreme (pre-transformers) and I got it for my birthday when I was a kid. My buddy came over to play and broke it, of course I got mad at him and he would always bring it up every time I saw him. He committed suicide unfortunately so I changed the picture to commemorate our friendship.

Jon87V20:
Vile, sorry to hear about your loss. Pretty awesome robot. Thanks again for the help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version