73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Body, Glass & Paint

Vent window woes

(1/2) > >>

1980K20:
1980 K20
Finally time to put the window in the driver's side door. Aftermarket doors are a pain. Looking for suggestions, advice.

1)  tapered screw holes are monstrous, much larger than the screw with cones I got part of the rebuild kit. Pic with a washer added to hold it. Suggestions on screws you've used?

2) doors don't have holes drilled for the center screw at the hinge location. Pic of inside enclosed.

3) knob was difficult to use on the bench. With lack of the screw, it does not work at all. The window won't close, misaligned, I have to push it from outside to get it close.  Going when I get the other screw in it will help. Maybe a different brand knob would help?

Thanks,
Mark

VileZambonie:
Hard to tell what's going on in your pics but the one screw and cone washer isn't shown in your pics. The top screw is different. Are the vents factory, aftermarket? Looks like you don't even have the frame pushed all the way into the door.

1980K20:
Here's a better picture. The crew just pops right through. Good chance I didn't get the window fully seated yet, especially without the one screw.

I've already taken the vent window out. The vents are original, I rebuilt them myself. I found a lot of play in the hinge rivet that's mucking it up some that I need to somehow fix.

The place where I ordered the knives had two versions. I tossed a dice and chose one. I wouldn't think they would be different, but hey maybe so.

Came across another question. The bracket at the back of the door have a captive nut. But there's a square hole on the door. I assume I just put a washer on it and be done, but it's there something special about it?

Thanks,
Mark

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1980K20:
Ok, driver door window is complete. In the end, the vent window is something to never open. Even the latch is not working correctly. Sigh.

Doh! I put the inside weather strip on the metal door, not in the interior panel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

VileZambonie:
Not using the vent windows is what makes them decay. Use it or lose it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version