Author Topic: Dash light and other Intermittent issues.  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
Re: Dash light and other Intermittent issues.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 12:24:12 PM »
Some of my gauges and lights did not work properly and when I took a look at the back of the gauge cluster (at the circuit panel) I saw dark spots that appeared to have overheated and there were areas that did not appear to have good contacts. They are thin and can easily get damaged and sometimes you can get a bad new one as well. I have a spare I keep now just in case.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline sgrinavi

• Noob
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2022, 11:46:11 AM »
Well, after taking the dash apart, again, I have a, single, dash light so I'm assuming all is well with the wiring and it's just the board.   

Time for a new instrument panel.  WOOT -  I have a New Vintage USA on order.  I was going to just do the tachometer upgrade kit from  , but it's back ordered and they couldn't tell me when I might get it.  I could have put the same kit together from parts, but it was expensive to do.  Seemed easier to get all new sensors and new tech gauges for a couple hundred more.

Thanks for all your help!

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 12:38:02 PM »

SO, another interesting symptom that might be useful.  When I turn the rheostat on the light switch the fuel gauge moves.

Thanks for all the help

That exact issue is how I found this forum in 2004.  My circuit board was bad in back of the speedometer cluster.  I couldn't see it but changing the cluster from a donor truck fixed the issue
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/