Author Topic: No brakes when engine is running  (Read 1968 times)

Offline CK9404

No brakes when engine is running
« on: August 09, 2022, 08:28:09 AM »
Here's what I got.
87 1/2 SWB with light duty brakes and the 305
Little Shop rear disc swap kit
POL Corvette style MC and proportioning valve (disc/disc)
New factory replacement power booster
I replaced the front calipers and all the rubber lines last year. I have replaced the rear hard lines and one of the front hard lines.
Here's the problem
Brakes have been gravity bled and then 2 man bled with no air coming out. There are no leaks. All connections have been double checked and torqued down tight.
I have a good firm pedal and good fluid flow at all bleeders. Whenever I start the truck and it gets vacuum the pedal basically disappears. Still get fluid moving but the pedal is basically just flopping there.
I have tried two of the same MC and reinstalled the factory booster and no change.
I am at a lost and need help.
Thank you!

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
Re: No brakes when engine is running
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 09:02:56 AM »
First thing that comes to mind is the booster check valve.  Plug it off (both sides), and see if the pedal still sinks when you start it.
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline CK9404

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 09:10:04 AM »
If I pull the vacuum line out of the booster while it's running the pedal is fine

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 10:13:22 AM »
Whenever I start the truck and it gets vacuum the pedal basically disappears. Still get fluid moving but the pedal is basically just flopping there.

Expand on these comments ^^^^^.  What do you mean, "...the pedal basically disappears" and "...the pedal is basically just flopping there?"  Does pedal firmness go soft?  Does the truck stop like it should?

Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline CK9404

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 10:53:13 AM »
Yes the pedal is soft, very soft. I have not driven it yet. I have it on a lift at the moment. Trying to solve this before I put it on the road

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 12:40:50 PM »
If I pull the vacuum line out of the booster while it's running the pedal is fine
Are you losing brake fluid at all?  If so, the master cylinder is probably leaking from the seal(s) on the piston into the booster. 

If not, it's probably a bad booster or check valve.  Remember, when carrying the booster to and from, don't carry is by the pushrod, it will tear the diaphragm. 

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 01:18:47 PM »
If the brake pedal becomes "softer" with the engine running, then the booster is doing its job.  Removing the vacuum source from the booster by disconnecting the vacuum check valve simply defeats power assist. 

You could bench bleed the M/C and re-gravity bleed the calipers if there is concern over the possibility of air in the system.  Otherwise, remove the vehicle from the rack and perform a very conservative and cautious stop test and driveway check.  Remain alert, drive slowly and very cautiously, at first.  If the truck stops properly, the soft pedal may be a normal symptom of proper power booster function.

You need to determine whether you are attempting to solve a problem that doesn't exist or you may wind up with ulcers from worry.

Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline CK9404

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 01:46:51 PM »
Not losing fluid at all. I pulled the new booster to swap back to the old one. I inspected for fluid loss and there was nothing in the booster.
It's hard to explain that when I say the pedal is soft, I mean it totally goes away. I can literally take my hand and flick it and it will go to the floor, but only when there is vacuum.
I also swapped out the MC and rebled it.
I am not a mechanic but I do know when something isn't right and this is not right
I have not messed with the check valve. I don't see how it would effect it this much

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 02:13:26 PM »
I can literally take my hand and flick it and it will go to the floor, but only when there is vacuum.

That certainly makes the problem clearer.  Do the brakes drag excessively or lock up when the engine starts?
Rich

Offline CK9404

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 02:14:58 PM »
They do not.

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 03:51:45 PM »
If the MC was not bench bled prior to install, it should be. I think you have a lot of air in the system.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 04:34:36 PM »
If the MC was not bench bled prior to install, it should be. I think you have a lot of air in the system.

I think Mike is correct. Compressing air is the only thing left.

1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 04:43:16 PM »
I'm not familiar with this rear caliper kit, where are the bleeders on the calipers?  They will be a mutha to bleed if they are up top, ask me how I know.

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 04:45:50 PM »
If everything is installed correctly and your pedal free play is in spec, then your issue is the setup. You will need to switch to a quick take-up master cylinder.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline CK9404

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 06:13:08 PM »
The MC was bench bled properly.
Everything I’ve read is that the bleeders are supposed to be at the top of the calipers. Otherwise you can get air pockets
Not familiar with the quick take-up MC