73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Electrical

Brake lights stay on

(1/2) > >>

bigblockchevelleman:
1987 chevy truck  brake lights stay on have replaced the switch no help even with the switch unplugged brake light will come on when I install the bulb  any help or suggestions would be great THANKS Steve

bd:
Make sure the emergency flasher switch isn't depressed.  What happens if you unplug the turn signal switch? 

bigblockchevelleman:
Haven't tried unplugging anything  , turn singles work  , flashers stay solid  ( thinking it should because only have front bulbs in ) going to start tracing from the tail light forward because I had the bed off while painting ,everything was apart because because it's a complete rebuild  and I know it's something I missed or have caused like so many other small issues I've corrected  Thank for the help Steve

Mike81K10:
Was your lights working prior the removing the bed? If yes and the only thing you have done was disconnect the rear harness, that may be where your problem is.

bd:

--- Quote from: bd on April 20, 2023, 08:17:55 PM ---Make sure the emergency flasher switch isn't depressed.

--- End quote ---

First, this ^^^^^.

Second, only after the first step is verified and the problem persists, unplug the turn signal switch alongside the steering column.  If the brake light remains illuminated, the brake/turn circuit is shorted to B+ somewhere in the wiring between the turn signal switch and the rear lamps.  Otherwise, the issue lies in the brake lamp feed between the brake lamp switch and the turn signal switch, inclusive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version