73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Brakes, Frame, Steering & Suspension

Getting too old for bouncing

(1/4) > >>

JohnnyPopper:
'78 K10 Step side

Turns out that this truck came with a camper option, which translates into 5 leafs and the overload bottom one.

The C10 in the garage has 3 + the overload.

Truth is I never haul anything and will not be carrying a camper.

My front leafs are dual with negative arch. Don't know if there's much to do with that.

As the subject line says, it's time to look for smoother ride options.

Would simply removing leafs be enough? Or are there aftermarket springs that make for a smooth ride with the right shocks?

Any thought would be welcome! TIA!

berserk:
I have a 76 k10 and at one point removed a few leaves from the pack. It did help some, the truck sat a bit lower and rode a bit better. I have now redone everything in the suspension with new components. I now have 2.5 inch Skyjacker Soft ride leaf springs front and rear. And Skyjacker black max shocks.

The truck rides better than it ever has before. It is obviously rougher than a modern truck but it's not nearly as jarring , bouncy and rough. This was the cheaper option for a better ride The only caveat being they are lift springs, I didn't want the truck any higher but they ride so much better I don't care.

I've also heard wonderful things about custom leaf spring packs from off-road designs and Deaver I believe. Both you spec out with your truck set up and they customize the spring rate to it. Never had any first hand experience with those but read a lot about them.

VileZambonie:
Put some good Bilstein's on it and lower your air pressure in the tires. That's about as good as you are going to get my friend.

JohnnyPopper:
OI Thx VZ... :'(

Shifty:

--- Quote from: VileZambonie on May 02, 2023, 05:23:17 PM ---Put some good Bilstein's on it and lower your air pressure in the tires. That's about as good as you are going to get my friend.

--- End quote ---
Exactly the route I took.  Good for mixing drinks though...(just kidding kids, don't drink and drive)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version