73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Rear Drivelines, Drive Axles and Gearing

1986 GMC axle regear questions

(1/1)

Snag:
  I'll be doing a swap from 2.73's to 3.42's on my truck and have a couple of questions . First off , I need to find pinion depth , I have a couple of ideas on how to measure from ring carrier center line ... These ideas involve machining (I have a quite complete home machine shop) a shaft with a flat spot and discs at both ends to center it in the bearing cups . Is there a tool I can copy or am I on my own for design ? Another question is how to lock down the pinion shaft when checking gear lash ? I'll be using a spacer sleeve and shims instead of the crush sleeve so that part is fairly easy . I have most of the tooling needed , what I don't have I can make in the shop ... but for some of these things I need a sample to copy . Right now I'm wishing it was as simple as when Dad re-geared the '59 Merc ... Unbolt one chunk and bolt in the other , slap the axles back in and roll .

zieg85:
I watched several videos on YouTube and decided even though mechanically I could do it and it would be a good excuse to buy some specialty tools needed, I would pay someone who has done it before

VileZambonie:
There are multiple ways you can find the centerline and measure depth. If you have the ability to make your own tooling it should be pretty simple. 10 bolt?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version