Author Topic: Noise from front steering???  (Read 2960 times)

Offline 87GMC4x4

Noise from front steering???
« on: October 03, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »
I'm having a problem with popping noise in the front. Its not the u-joints, I believe it may be a ball joint??? It dosent do it all the time. I found that when I put it in drive with the brake appiled and turn left to right it makes the noise every time.

I know thats not alot of info, but thats what I have come up with. Thanks!

Offline 79ChevyK20Guy

• The clothes don't make the man!
Re: Noise from front steering???
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 09:16:00 PM »
It is either the axel joints or the wheel bearings. It is more likely to be the wheel bearings. If it is the ball joint you will starts to notice that your tires are getting chopped on that side. I would recommend checking your axel joiunts and wheel bearings, I had the same problem in my 82 K20 and it was the wheel bearings.

Brian Skaggs
"Sometimes you just gotta say WTH?"

Offline 87GMC4x4

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »
How could it be u-joints or wheel bearings when it makes the noise when not moving?  

Offline 87GMC4x4

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 09:03:00 PM »
I got a friend of mine to stand outside the truck while I had the brake appiled and it was in drive and I turned it left to right. My friend said the noise that I'm hearing is the power steering relief valve. I'm not sure??  The truck drives just about perfect, I drive it 60 miles a day.

Edited by: 87GMC4x4 at: 10/5/06 8:05 pm

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »
How have you eliminated the U-joints in the inner/outer axle?
If it only does it in drive, under a load, it has to be steering related.  It is very hard to diagnose "sounds" over the internet regardless of what forum you go to.

What have you checked up to now?  And what has been replaced or changed right after it started this?  Popping to me is something loud like metal on metal.

Another thing to check is to verify you frame isn't cracked at the steering box.  That will make a noise when turning.  If it has been abused and had large tires without that being reinforced, and it is broke, you could wreck.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Edited by: roundedline at: 10/7/06 1:52 pm

Offline 87GMC4x4

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »
The noise started after I cleaned underneathe the truck with degreaser and then went over it with wd-40,that was about a month ago. The noise dosent seem to be affecting the driveability of the truck, I drive it 60 miles a day during the week and then drive around town on the weekends. the reason I do not think its the u-joints is because I have engaged the 4x4 and drove quite a bit and have turned the wheels hard left and right while moving and have not heard anything.  the noise is not really a metal to metal noise its just a popping kinda sound that I cxan feel in my feet while driving. and It dose it mostly while backing out of parking spaces or pulling in the driveway at slow speeds.  

Offline 87GMC4x4

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 05:35:00 PM »
I inspected the steering box where it bolts to the frame and tgher is no cracks in the frame

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »
Did you regrease all of your steering joints/pieces after degreasing them?

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 87GMC4x4

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 05:51:00 AM »
I tried to stay away from the ball joints and whatnot with the degreaser, but I will regrease them and see what happens.

I am getting a couple different people to look at the truck at the same time to see if we can figure out what this noise is.

I wasnt aware of the cracked frame possibilty and I'm looking into getting a brace for the steering box.

Offline jnf087V10

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 12:53:00 AM »
I got an 87 half-ton, same exact popping noise.  Replaced the steering joints and everything was A-ok.  Definitley check out that frame though.  These trucks are known for that crack right by the steering box.  A company called offroad design makes an excellent kit with a weld on plate and a gusset that goes from the two lower bolts on your steering box to the cross member right under the radiator.  Check it out
-Joe

Offline 87GMC4x4

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
Thanks, I feel as though the old steering joints need to replaced (like you said)  as I can not find anything else wrong with the truck.