73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Projects Posts (NOT VEHICLES)

TPI onto 86 Block

(1/38) > >>

123 pugsy:
I have an 86 350 4 bolt with World Products S/R heads in my truck now as I chewed out the thrust bearing in the 283. Can I use the TPI unit I have on this? I'm not sure of the location of the knock sensor.Does it go in the block or the cylinder head? I know I have to drill out the 2 center intake holes on a different angle.I've ordered an oil pressure switch with the disconnect for the fuel pump. I will weld in a bung for the o2 sensor on to the crossover pipe just behind the connection to exhaust manifold.

Any other things to consider before I start?

VileZambonie:
The knock sensor goes in the cylinder block where you probably have a plug now in the coolant jacket adjacent to the cylinder walls. So you have the ECM, the ignition system and harness too right? Don't forget with TPI you want an in tank fuel pump also that can sustain 47PSI.

123 pugsy:
I have have a threaded plug in 2 sides of the lower block.I use either of theses holes?I have a full wiring harness,distributor,PCM.There is a 2 pin hookup on the distributor I'm not sure of. I haven't found a wire that fits in there yet. I have the steering column and key and I made up a bypass resistor for the VATS. The key resistor measured 1129 OHMS and I made 1 up from 2 resistors in series equalling 1144 OHMS. I read on a website that I should be +/- 5%. I was thinking about getting an in line electric fuel pump. Any thoughts on this?

VileZambonie:
you can use either hole but I believe the harness is set up for the pass side. Do you have the pigtail that goes to the ignition coil from the module? As far as the VATS resistor you can pick up resistors so cheap you'd be better off matching the chip and then just wiring it in. Make two one as a spare in case one ever fails.

As far as the fuel pump being in the tank- several reasons for this. When you draw fuel from the tank rather than push fuel from the tank it can create low pressure which decresases the vaporiztion point of the fuel which could easily result in vapor lock - especially in warmer weather. Consistant temperatures are more easily maintained within the tank and noise is drastically reduced. You can get a Camaro pump and plop it in an 87 sending unit no problem. 

123 pugsy:
I like the idea of having less fuel pump noise for sure. Not having to worry about vapor lock is definitely a bonus. The 2 parts combined add up to the price of an in line pump ( $20.00 more) ,so why not?
I've already made a VATS bypass and I do have 1 extra.
About the distributor and coil pigtails: I can't find a 2 pin pigtail that fits the distributor or a 4 pin that fits the coil???? :-\  ???
Also:What's the module?
Sorry if I sound a little hi tech illiterate,but that's just because I am.....but I gotta learn this stuff sooner than later.I want to use all the fuel injection technology on my future projects to have a nice clean burning engine. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version