Author Topic: Longshot, but oh well  (Read 9375 times)

Offline Skunksmash

Longshot, but oh well
« on: September 25, 2008, 04:12:17 AM »
My GF's 04 Volvo S80 has an interesting feature that im sure some of you have run into before. They call it "automatic" windows. This is different than plain old power windows. The only difference is in the window switch itself. Instead of just being two buttons, up and down, it is four buttons all in one. Up, down, auto up, auto down. You really can't tell the difference by just looking at the switch as it looks just like any other power window switch. If you press the switch a little harder you can feel it click over into the auto mode where once you have pressed it, the window will roll all the way up or all the way down on it's own without you having to sit there and hold the switch down.

Now, do yall think there is any way to get this feature going in my 87 silverado? It has power windows already, it just needs the different type of switch to tell the window what to do. Pretty unlikely though, huh. lol.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Longshot, but oh well
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 04:08:08 PM »
The auto down feature is on all the new GM cars.  I am not sure in theory how they work, but they apply they "lock" the switch until the window it down.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:33:33 PM »
It's all in the switch itself. Any way to get this on a 73-87 truck? There must be a way...

Offline Dragon

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 01:45:26 AM »
'91 and up B/D-Body GM's had "Express Down" Driver's side windows optional, and I believe it was used in other GM Models at the time (I know Mini-Vans, so maybe the Suburbans got them too ???)...

With the B/D-body Sedans and Wagons, I believe there was a module that was either built into the window switch base, or found mounted under the dash...  Don't know why one couldn't adapt one of those setups to work with an Earlier car/truck, along with split the connection of to the passenger side(if not just wiring in a seperate setup for it)..
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 10:21:51 AM »
There is a module in the door panel that controls the auto up/down feature. It's a feature I actually find very annoying. Sometimes you just want to crack the window open and all the way down it starts running away.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »
I agree with Vile when I comes to GM vehicles with this feature - very annoying (but the switches have a cheap and flimsy feel).  But my mom's Acura has it and it works very well, it's almost impossible to accidentally trip the auto feature (unless you're a ham-fisted oaf) because the switches have a very nice "feel" to them.  I wonder if you can get one of these old trucks to speak Japanese?
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline Bowtie4004x4

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »
 My wife hears me cause her "auto" windows on a daily basis. If I wanted the window all the way down I know how to hold the button for the 5 seconds it takes to get it all the way down. Give me the old "crank" windows any day.
 Now that the rant is over I wouldn't think a junkyard swap would not be too hard to figure out, however as well as computer illiterate I am also wiring/electronics challenged. A few hundred fuses and some jumper wires should get it done I would think.  ???
I'm spending my children's inheritance on my Trucks.
'78 3/4 fleetside 4x4 4oo/400 3:73gears (frame off rebuild)
'80 3/4 fleetside 4x4 305/400 4:10gears (if I took the body off the frame it would fall totally apart...lol )

Offline ont_guy_38

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 03:55:14 PM »
I have them on my van and I totally hate it

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 10:24:11 PM »
Lol you guys are to old fashioned or something. Its a great feature if you don't just always cram down on the switch. You gotta slightly depress for regular, and fully depress for full auto. Course i don't know how well GM did the feature. Like the other member said his acura does it really well and so does my old lady's volvo. Its hard to make it do the wrong thing on her car. But as for the module being somewhere under the dash or in the door, i don;t see how it could work without it being a part of of the switch itself cause you can feel when you press it that it is a four in one type of switch. I guess maybe for our trucks it would have to be a little module and maybe the switch would have to be like a computer mouse where you double click it to get it to do the added feature.

Offline Bowtie4004x4

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 01:54:35 AM »
  A mouse could press mine harder than I do, I try and find that sweet spot and it just is not there. BTW her vehicle is an '04 Trailblazer so I wouldn't think the switch is worn out or anything.
I'm spending my children's inheritance on my Trucks.
'78 3/4 fleetside 4x4 4oo/400 3:73gears (frame off rebuild)
'80 3/4 fleetside 4x4 305/400 4:10gears (if I took the body off the frame it would fall totally apart...lol )

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 09:51:14 AM »
06 Jeep Grand Cherokee...constantly pushing up and down to chase the auto feature. I hate it.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 03:18:07 PM »
Seems like some automakers just didn't do it so well. On my 94 mustang i got to where i could not live without it. Probly what spoiled me to it.

Offline static22

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 10:58:31 PM »
Hey Vile I know what your saying. I've had times when I've wanted my window partially down and there it goes. Apparently I only thought I wanted it partially down. What makes me crazy about these things is that an engineer who makes at least three times what I do thought this was a good design!

Offline Dragon

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 12:55:41 AM »
Seems like some automakers just didn't do it so well. On my 94 mustang i got to where i could not live without it. Probly what spoiled me to it.
All in trial and error, or R&D in the Automotive World.....  Japanese Cars and Trucks had the feature before we saw it on our cars and trucks....  At first, they too were clunky and irritating to use, now after several years, they work fairly flawlessly.....  Volvo has had this feature for a while, and they have been able to work out some of their kinks, just like SAAB...  Yet Ford(Volvo's Current Parent Co.) still has plenty of trouble with their systems from time to time, as does GM(Saab's Parent Co.) when it comes to their systems....   
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 05:23:04 AM »
Yeah back when we got that volvo i was surprised to learn of all the stuff ford owns. Volvo, jaguar, harley davidson motorcycles, astin martin, mazda, and a chunk of nissan to name a few, probly more than that. Strange.