Author Topic: "New" project - Camaro / subwoofer console  (Read 5607 times)

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
"New" project - Camaro / subwoofer console
« on: October 28, 2008, 05:16:44 PM »
I've been working on this for quite a while now, albeit rather slowly. It's been under construction for 2 years now as of September 08. It took a big change of direction in Sept 08 since I was sort of stalled on it. I wasn't feeling the look of it the way I was building it and wanted to incorporate more of an OEM look. After thinking about what stock consoles would look good in the truck, I decided on an 80's Camaro console. It's wide and has a deliberate, angular shape with sharp lines. A perfect complement to my 'square body' truck. So I will be mating the front 1/2 of it to the rear 1/2 of what I've built already. It will incorporate dual DIN-size head units (one is an electronic EQ that will be there for show effect only), I plan to put a B&M Megashifter in to replace the column shifter, a vintage Alpine 6012 reference subwoofer will live at the back of it, firing down into the floor, and an Alto Drive30 processor will be displayed in the more vertical portion between the seats. I will be covering it in short-pile black carpet, black pebble-grain vinyl along with beveled gloss black acrylic accents.

Here's a couple pics when the Camaro console integration started. I have the pics loaded up here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3001366/4

I still have descriptions to add which I will get to over the next few days.

Original idea:

Camaro mock-up:

Fairly current progress:

Even with the stock Camaro console, it would look pretty good in these trucks. Some fab work with plastic would have to be done to conform it to the pattern of the floor and dash but that's just 1/8" abs, some CA glue and material to make that happen. I bought that console for $25 from a local wrecker.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 05:19:58 PM by SUX2BU99 »
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Online Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: "New" project - Camaro / subwoofer console
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 05:51:50 PM »
Just a side note, but Rod Doors has a 67-69 floor console that you could modify also:

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »
WOW - that is ambitious.

Looking good - keep us updated with pictures. 
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline 79diesel

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:40:17 PM »
very creative..im anxious to see how this turns out
79 Sierra Diesel 5.9 Cummins/NV4500

Offline SUX2BU99

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 04:25:18 PM »
I've added text to each picture that I've uploaded so far: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3001366/4

I've made more progress. I've cut the side panels to fit how I want them and am making the multi-angled filler pieces between the rear 1/2 and the narrower Camaro front 1/2.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline SUX2BU99

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 03:41:02 PM »
A couple of update pics.

Fast forwarding it a little bit (there's been a ton of work going on in between but this gets it's up to speed before I upload a ton more of pics). The 1/4" MDF is being used as a mock-up for what we will be replaced with two layers of 1/8" plexiglas. Bottom will be yellow and top will be gloss black. Beveling the edges will produce a nice effect. Ignore the two small screws at the back. They are only there to secure the MDF temporarily to the plastic beneath. You can see the shifter bezel and boot for the Megashifter and the nickel T-nut bolts which will look classy against the black plexi. Also shown is the head unit bezel which will be finished the same and will have a T-nut bolt at each corner

Here is the shifter getting located in the truck. It has to move back some more and up as well so I'm doing that at the moment. The white plastic there is 1/16" Lucite which is used to keep the 1/4" MDF flat and supported. Not shown yet are the wood blocks I've glued in for the T-nut bolts to thread into and secure the top trim piece.

Seems like not a lots been done but the behind the scenes stuff in order to get stuff located and looking how it does is far more than a person realizes just by looking at pics. I've had to modify that console quite a bit to get where I'm at and also changed some support structure stuff that makes things work out better. All takes time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:23:01 PM by SUX2BU99 »