Author Topic: Where to find Grounds in cluster wiring  (Read 2396 times)

Offline belair215

Where to find Grounds in cluster wiring
« on: December 19, 2013, 12:31:29 PM »
where should I look for the ground or grounds  for the dash wiring?  I put in a 86 harness in my 82 cab and nothing in the cluster works.  I think maybe I am missing a ground connection for the dash.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Where to find Grounds in cluster wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 11:19:37 PM »
make sure you are getting power to your wires
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jarhead76

• 76 Silverado K20 camper special
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »
ground wires are most often black or green. but as far as i know there is no true standard in automotive wiring. best to use a multimeter and go trow them one by one. labeling as you go. also several parts don't have grounds to them because they get there grounding from being attached to apart of the vehicle that it grounded.

here is a link to the wiring diagrams on this site. http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=11766.0
if the link dose not work you can fined them on page 3 under "technical pages" on this site.

hope this helps.
76 Silverado K20 camper special
90 suburban V1500

Offline belair215

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »
Thanks I will do that

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 07:17:09 AM »
On my '75 GMC and other trucks I've looked at in the junkyard, the main instrument panel ground is a black wire connected to a post on the top of the emergency brake pedal bracket.  If this ground is disconnected you get all kinds of instrument and light problems.    There are also grounds for the radio and some other individual accessories, but the main ground must be connected for the dash and lights to work correctly.

Bruce