Author Topic: Faulty starter  (Read 723 times)

Offline ackland3

• Shade Tree Certified Mechanic
Faulty starter
« on: February 13, 2024, 04:29:31 PM »
On my 84 k10 i keep having shorts or at least i think i am. i'll turn the key and get a click but no start (it's a brand new starter) i've found and fixed a couple shorts and then it'll start and run by the key until i drive it then i have to jump across the solenoid for it to start and sometimes it'll start with the key after doing this sometimes not. any ideas?
1985 K10

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
Re: Faulty starter
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 04:53:33 PM »
Sounds "switch-ey" to me....are you getting a solid (at least) 12v at the starter when it fails?
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline ackland3

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 05:35:30 PM »
yep everything appears fine i've replaced the switch once already unless my short is somewhere in the mess of a wire bundle for the dash
1985 K10

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 06:20:12 PM »
It doesn't "ring" of a short - more like low voltage due to a discharged or weak battery, or voltage loss from a poor connection or compromised appliance.  Have the battery properly load checked.

The starter circuit consists of the battery, starter, ignition switch, and interconnecting wiring.  Begin your diagnosis by narrowing down which part of the circuit is presenting problems starting with the battery.  Don't make any assumptions.  Make sure the cable connections to the battery, engine block and stater solenoid are clean and tight.  Check the battery cables for any signs of corrosion or swollen insulation, especially in the vicinity of the battery terminals.  Use your voltmeter to measure voltage drops while attempting to crank the engine.  Measure between the battery negative terminal post and the starter case while attempting to crank.  Measure between the battery positive post and the solenoid 3/8" B+ post while attempting to crank.  Measure between the battery positive post and the solenoid "S" terminal while attempting to crank.  Post your results.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline ackland3

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 06:07:02 PM »
did the voltage reading and i got 12.4 on all except to the starter case i got 0
1985 K10

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 08:06:25 PM »
If you measured 12.4 volt drops across the wiring, either the wiring is toast or you connected your meter incorrectly.  Did you take the measurements while cranking the engine?
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline ackland3

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 04:02:35 AM »
Sorry no I measured 12.4 both while cranking and not and got 0 volts on body of starter
1985 K10

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 09:16:03 AM »
Referring to the diagram, below, where did you connect the meter leads when you measured the voltage drop between the battery positive post and the solenoid 3/8" B+ post while attempting to crank?

With the engine off connect your voltmeter between the battery's positive and negative posts.  What is the reading?
Rich

Offline ackland3

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 04:34:30 AM »
I think I found it! a break in the wire from the firewall to the starter s terminal.
1985 K10

Offline Chevygold

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 12:01:53 PM »
Hi there hope you're right, sounds as if the damaged wire was allowing some voltage through to make the solenoid click but not enough to pull it all the way in to engage the starter and make contact with the contacts inside to send 12v to spin the starter.
Graham