Author Topic: Grinding noise coming from the front driver side.  (Read 3875 times)

Offline A-Rod

Grinding noise coming from the front driver side.
« on: February 08, 2016, 07:01:35 PM »
So I got a 87 Chevy V10 and I'm trying to get it right. When I drive it it starts making a grinding noise on the front driver side with out the 4x4 engaged. I slow down and almost to a stop I feel a jerk and it stops making the noise. But when I use the 4x4 low or high it does not do it. I took out the locking hub and it looks good no metal shavings or grinding marks. I worked on it all day today but still making the noise any pointers to identify this noise. I set all wheels on the air and ran it 2 wheel drive 35 miles an hour and no noise from the transfer case, did 4x4 35 miles an hour and also no noise.

A-Rod

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Grinding noise coming from the front driver side.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 07:04:52 PM »
Convert to manual locking hubs
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Burkhalter

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 07:14:53 PM »
does it sound like gears grinding or rubbing grinding. Hard to tell without actually hearing it. gear grinding noise, I would say that it's your hubs. To which I would agree manual locking hubs all the way. Rubbing grinding noise, how are your bearings? Are they worn? Dried out and ready to fail?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:16:27 PM by Burkhalter »
'85 Chevy K10 361ci sm465

Offline A-Rod

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 07:28:21 PM »
Can I take the locking hub completely off to test run it to see if that is the problem? I took it off today and didn't see any damage on it. Or will it run with out locking hubs?

A-Rod

Offline Burkhalter

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 02:26:00 PM »
I have manual locking hubs, so I'm not sure how much of a difference there is. But in theory, yes. The actual hub is what holds the wheel on the outer axle. The locking portion is just a gear. And connects the wheel to the inner drive axle. So your next issue would be making some kind of cap to keep debris out of the hub and berings. And the grease in.
'85 Chevy K10 361ci sm465

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 07:33:21 PM »
Can wrap it in duct tape to est drive it without hub on it.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline A-Rod

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 08:16:05 PM »
Thanks to everyone duct tape worked took the locking hubs out duct tape it and drove it to work for two days. noise went away so I bought new manual locking hubs and fox the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk