Author Topic: 6.2 loud ticking/clicking noise after truck died  (Read 3474 times)

Offline mrboyy17

• Registered Users
6.2 loud ticking/clicking noise after truck died
« on: May 27, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »
I think someone on here can help me out.  recently my 86 6.2 diesel makes a loud "ticking" noise.  It died....It would not start back up....got it home and replaced the fuel filter and bled air out of the fuel system....I got it started back up again and it sounds like a loud tick/click while running.

after running about 10-15 minutes it goes away mostly.

took it on a test drive and it makes the noise seemingly more when going in reverse.  but does it in drive as well....in park and neutral the noise is calmed down, but can sometimes still be heard...help!
From what I can tell it seems to be coming between the engine and tranny....down by the oil filter...any ideas? I'm no mechanic but if I can get it running good again ill be my 7 year old daughters hero again! hahaha.
I have videos of the noise but am not too computer saavy and cannot get them to post....help!
thanks

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 6.2 loud ticking/clicking noise after truck died
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 08:15:42 PM »
the tick could be from a cracked flex plate which would be in between the eng and trans and being in gear would put more strain on it
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline mrboyy17

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 09:54:49 PM »
would that cause the tick to increase with rpm increase?
that is what it is doing
irish....is there a way I can send you the video so you can hear it?
Mark

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 10:01:47 PM »
a video would only let me listen to the sound after its been filtered by your mic and my speaker. easy way to tell is unbolt the torque converter. the noise will stop if its the flex plate.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline mrboyy17

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 10:26:36 PM »
I just went out and started it after sitting for 6 hours and it is not making the noise anymore.....ugh it can't be "magically fixed"