Author Topic: BlueCollarRon's 1982 GMC Sierra Classic  (Read 24304 times)

Offline Ghazi67

• Registered Users
  • TGIC ( Thank God Its Chevy )
Re: 82' GMC Sierra Classic P/U
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 03:35:53 PM »
Nice lookin' truck U got here Ron .. I think it will look mean when U fix the 36" Swampers
I like the color too .. I am building a stepside & I think I will try this color on

'Bout your Qs..

I will go with the 350/TH400 combo if I were you .. I have tried this combo in the past ( with shift kit ) and never got any problem ... or I will go extreme & build up a 383 out of the 350 & 400

Keep us posted ...& wish U luck
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:46:25 PM by Ghazi67 »
Chevy Head from Overseas
Old riders : 74 w/LT1 Blazer & 82 K15.
Current rides : 66' Impala SS & 85 GMC 1500

Offline BlueCollarRon

82 Motor Swap 4
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 01:33:37 AM »
Here it goes:

#1 busted crank 1969 350
#2 target master spun bearings 1983 350
#3 400sb 1979 (smoked terribly, bad compression rear 2 passenger cylinders, bad valve seals).

I installed #4 350 first week in Nov. of this year, another early 80's target master.  This one runs better then any of them.  Everything stock but she purrs smooth and has good power, I like it.

Unfortunately, this 350 has the same crack in the block for the starter as number 1 had.  This time it will be fixed for good.  I tried a starter out of a 4.3 chevy as they bolt up the same.  It sounded good for a few weeks and then it got bad quick and almost left me stranded a couple times.  I just put the stock starter on tonight and it starts and no grinding for now but it is in a warm shop...

I loomed every wire under the hood and repaired the wiring harness for ease of changin motors  ::).  Had to clean all the oil under the hood from the valve covers and the low comp cylinders.  

Added higher output alternator and a big  battery because on the maiden voyage all the lights got dim and nothing worked. now my volt gauge always registers 13+ volts and lights never dim.

--Temp gauge works now, (saved me the other night. used frozen pond water to get home as i was havin issues with my fans. then truck almost completely froze solid this weekend at -30)
--needs new oil sending unit for the stock gauge, although i'd like to add all aftermarket gauges.
--new windshield very soon
--I have enough automotive flat black to completely paint my truck.
--chrome grill fits perfect with the electric fans but I havent put it back on
--wiper motor quit the day before i swapped motors, still have yet to change..
--need to swap bulbs for some blinkers to work
--Dana 60 and corporate 14 just waitin to be used now  8)
--swapped to solid back glass from a slider
--I have a set of perfect looking in and out tan doors off of a blazer, waiting to install when I paint.

Just blew out a tire the other night so now i have 2 mud kings on front, lh rear is a yokohomo mud digger, and rh rear is a mud king all 35 x 12.5 ;) lol

this summer frame broke at steering gear, no raised pitman arm off of the axle.  welded on new frame section then added raised pitman arm, steers much better now.

Lots of other stuff I am doing have done and will do.

My Truck

And we start off with taking my new motor out of this truck

Yeehaw!

Missing parts off of holley avenger carb, came like this....

Now I start ripping #3 the small block 400 out of my truck the greasy pig

This is a view of how bad she was leaking if u cant tell already.

Greasy Greasy

Here is what i had to clean(under hood) and fix wiring nightmare!

Now after cleaning and prepping I can start putting everything back together finally

A couple of my buds helpin out

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 02:16:10 AM by BlueCollarRon »

Offline Grim 82

Re: 82 Motor Swap 4
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 08:52:03 AM »
Nice progress. Forklifts make the best engine hoists, for sure.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline cvbear

• Registered Users
Re: BlueCollarRon's 1982 GMC Sierra Classic
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 10:59:56 PM »
Looks like an adventure!  I notice in some of the pics there is a mask or shield over part of the grill.  Is that to let the temperature warm up?  I have seen similar shields on big trucks (18 wheelers) but never on a pickup.
1984 SWB Silverado fleetside, 350 crate engine, 350 trans

Offline BlueCollarRon

Re: BlueCollarRon's 1982 GMC Sierra Classic
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 01:32:05 AM »
yep i wear it when its cold out (all winter lol).  On top of it being cold I have headers which allow a lot of heat to escape out the exhaust.  The bra helps retain heat by stoping too much cold air from cooling the radiator.

My next step is to fix my electric fans, I am just going to hook them up to a switch so they run when I want them to run.  I am having problems trying to figure out when the probe wants to shut the fans on and off.  it has a dial that twists 1-3, but I'd rather have a switch I think.