Author Topic: Axle shaft U Joint  (Read 18493 times)

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
Axle shaft U Joint
« on: January 21, 2010, 05:24:53 PM »
I need to replace my passenger side axle shaft U joint on my 79 K10 with 10 bolt. I have 3 different manuals and I think I got the jist of it but I have a few questions.

First, while I'm at it, I will be replacing the wheel bearings and MAYBE upper and lower ball joints for the knuckle. Is there anything else I should replace while I'm there?

I understand I need to remove the brake setup and hub/spindle etc. Do I have to remove the knuckle? What is the axle shaft held in with? Do I need to pull the diff cover for anything?

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Axle shaft U Joint
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:14:45 PM »
All you need to remove is the caliper, the hub assembly, the rotor, the backing plate, and the spindle. The axle will slide right out then. No need to remove cover, or knuckle.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 09:26:43 PM »
Ok thanks. When I go to put it back in, will there be any "fumbling" with the shaft to get it to fit in the differential? Specifically the bearings near the diff? Is there a chance of pushing them out when I insert the shaft?

Offline 4x4orbust

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 09:33:53 PM »
i just did the passenger side on my 82,  took me about 4 hours.   there is nothing to worry about when putting the axle shaft back in, it pretty much just slides back in place.   the hardest part of the project was getting the spindle off.   took some "persuasion" to say the least.   while everything is off, repack or replace the wheel bearings, and grease the hubs.   
1982 chevy K-10 SWB, 355 th350/np208. 2.5"lift, 33" swampers, headers/duals,  current project

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:35:52 PM »
Are there any special or odd tools to acquire?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 07:12:11 AM »
A ball joint press is very helpful
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 4x4orbust

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »

spindle nut socket

wheel bearing grease packer
1982 chevy K-10 SWB, 355 th350/np208. 2.5"lift, 33" swampers, headers/duals,  current project

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 04:43:45 AM »
a chisel and hammer to get the hub off, helped me. make sure your wheels are strait before jacking it up lol. it takes me about and hour to do mine but I've been thought it a couple diffrent times now so i have it down packed, also you need snap ring pliers if you don't have a spindle nut socket you can use a punch and hammer, check your inner seal also on the shaft make sure its still good. if you want to hold of till sun i might be able to change mine out again today ill take some pics and post them
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »
Spindle nut socket, and snap ring pliers yes. Ball joint press works good for removing, and installing the u joints, but can be done with a couple hammers, and a vise carfully. A slide hammer with and attachment for the spindle nut threads works good, but can be done again nicely with a hammer.
As far as getting the shaft back in you just need to lift up the inner end a little and it will slide right in.
Use a dead blow hammer, or a large steel hammer just be nice to the spindle to knock it loose one way then the other. Once it has separated enough from the knuckle slip a flat screw driver in between it and the knuckle then whack it on the opposite side from the screw driver. it should come free pertty easy then.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 06:10:11 AM »
finally got mine swapped out yesterday but as soon as i started my phone just died and i  couldn't take pictures of it but I'll try to repeat everything.
1 jack up the axle , take tire off
2 take caliper off
3 take the front part of hub off the locker part with little hex bits pull on it to remove you may have to play with the switch to remove it
4 remove snap ring, remove first axle nut with the socket or a chisel and just tap it around next remove the washer then remove second axle nut. notice all the holes in the washer and the tit on the 2nd axle nut
5 remove the bolts around the second part of the hub i think your k10 wont have this part if not just skip it
6 remove the hub just by sliding it off with a little force
7 next you rotor is ready to slide off but bearing will fall out try to remove the outer bearing by hand then slide off the rotor and place the rotor on its face out of the hub.
8 take a chicle to the dust cover around your dust cover doesn't have bolts but it slide over those bolts you see, next remove whats left of the hub again it slides over the bolts they are part of the axle.
9 pull the shaft out remove the clips on the caps "i cut mine off with a torch" us a hammer and a nut or something of some type to bust those caps out just don't hurt the axle any. put new u joints one cap at a time. then put it all back togeather. this would be a good time to re grease everything bearrings and all
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 03:57:35 PM »
Ok sweet. I need to get my butt in gear and get all the parts and tools. The weather isnt helping either. I will make a DIY in the technical section after I complete the project.

Offline 4x4orbust

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 06:00:40 PM »
quite frankly the only special tool you need is the spindle nut socket i pictured.   and as was mentioned, you don't even really need that, but it really helps time wise. 
if you are doing the ball joints the ball joint press will also be very helpful

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 04:28:06 PM »
Finally got around to replacing my U joint. Got it all torn down so far. Amazed at how much dirt is in the axle shaft. Vacuum time! Ill try to get some pics up.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 12:35:03 PM »
Looks WAY better.

Cleaned up and new ball joints installed. Wasn't too hard with the right tools.

My enemy. Bad U joint. The other side is in better condition, so it will wait. See all that grass? The axle tube had about a 1/4" deep layer of sand and dirt running the whole length of the tube.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 06:48:12 PM »
Anyone know if there is supposed to be a seal in between the innershaft and the axle housing? There wasnt one when I took it apart (probably the reason for all the junk in the tube) and I cant find anything in parts catalog. I just want to make sure before I put it all together.