Author Topic: 10 bolt front end.  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
10 bolt front end.
« on: January 16, 2011, 12:38:33 PM »
Any one know a good source for replacement axles for a ten bolt front end? Have found a few but figure someone on here might know of something better. Thanks Harold.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 10 bolt front end.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:49:17 PM »
New or Used? I would just get a used one.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline motion427

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »
Yukon has some upgraded axles,aswell as 4340's.
If you decide to go new,it gives something to compare prices with.
86 K10,350 Roller Cam,T350,NP205,10 bolt posi,12 bolt posi,33" tires.
85 K30,454,T400,NP205,Dana 60,14 bolt,being built now.
04 Avalanche Z71,6.0L,TVS 1900,Dynatech,Corsa,etc...
06 TBSS,AWD,6.0L,Kooks,C6 fan kit,etc...
75 Nova SS,502,T350,12 bolt

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 05:00:42 PM »
Can't remember who makes them but I did find some for my dana but I think they were close to 1k
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 09:19:24 PM »
I've used up my used supply. The ones in the truck are the last ones I had for a ten bolt. Randy's ring and Pinion has a pair inners, outers, and joints for under $500. I'm not wheeling the truck just plowing. The axles aren't what break its the joints, but when they do they beat the axles up. The holes in both of mine are a little out of round.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:46:06 AM »
are you looking at new or used?

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:13:45 AM »
I have some in a parts truck that you could have, but I wouldn't be able to retrieve them for you until spring thaw.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 09:55:29 PM »
I bought new inners, outers, and Spicer u joints from Randy's Ring and Pinion. They are an upgrade from stock, 40% stronger. $482.00 with shipping.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 05:17:37 AM »
ouch for a couple more bucks i would of looked for a 60

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »
Its a plow truck, it doesn't need a 60.
 It would have been allot more than a couple more bucks, I would have had to go through a used axle and make sure everything was good or replace what was not. Plus would have had to buy brake parts more than likely as the not very old stuff on the 10 bolt would not be used. Then I would have had to swap the rearend to go with it, and most likely spent money on it too.
 I've got 3 60's in storage if I wanted to do all that work and spend all that money I would have used one of them. Truck can't be down this time of year either. This is a 3 or 4 hour job swapping both sides in.
 GM has discontinued these axles. Randy's ring and pinion could get me stock replacements same as original, but it would have bee a little over $150 more than what I bought!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 05:03:38 AM »
lol just a couple more bucks. i just figured since you kept breaking the 10 bolts maybe you would have better luck with a 60. who knows maybe the 40% is about what a stock 60 can hold maybe more just keep me posted cause if it works for you it might be my next birthday gift ;D

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 01:51:37 AM »
Only ones that have broke are when the joint failed, and wrecked the axle. The others the holes are just worn and the caps slightly spin in them. I have a few tack welds on each cap in the ones in the truck now. I haven't installed the new ones yet.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 12:50:03 AM »
The only thing I have a problem with is the caps but every now and then I get a clunk if im turning while at a low speed I think the short side joint is starting to fail its original that I know of