Author Topic: Sequoia edition? is there such a thing?  (Read 7551 times)

Offline treepete

• Registered Users
Sequoia edition? is there such a thing?
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:25:55 AM »
under my hood compartment there is a label that describes the options that my truck must have had when it was new.

The label is partially torn, etc faded. but on it it says that this truck is the "sequioa"  what does this mean. I googled it and Im not getting anything but 2006 and newer.
1983 Silverado
1999 Yukon Denali 

Other problem: Off-Road R/C.     www.rccorral.com

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Sequoia edition? is there such a thing?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 01:30:48 PM »
YH6 is a free Bonus Value Option Package or Super Saver Package.

To quote the 73-87 RPO Guru KIILew:

The Sequoia Special was the spiritual successor to the Bonanza/Bonanza packages of the '80 and earlier time frame, which in turn descended from the even earlier Highlander discount option packages.

While the earlier packages were specific option groupings priced at a discount, however, the Sequoia amounted to the proverbial "buy several options, get one free" scheme, and were apparently offered during the winter/spring months. Specifically, the buyer would receive either C60 air conditioning OR MX1/MX0 3spd/4spd automatic transmission WITHOUT CHARGE if he selected the following options:

ZY4 deluxe two tone paint (not color specific, with contrasting color on the roof and lower bodyside)
V22 deluxe front appearance package (i.e. chrome grille/quad headlamps)
TT5 halogen high beam headlamps
U35 electric clock
A01 tinted glass
ZQ2 Operating convenience package (i.e. power windows/locks)
U58 AM/FM stereo radio (w/an upgrade allowed)
K34 electronic speed control
N33 tilt steering wheel
CD4 intermittent windshield wipers

The overdrive auto transmission discount was applicable only to 1982 and later 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickup models which normally offered that transmission on an RPO basis. The package content was likely fairly consistent from year-to-year.

Other than the reference to the "YH6 Sequoia Special" listed on your glove box label, these models are indistinguishable from similarly optioned (non-discounted) vehicles.

Offline treepete

• Registered Users
Re: Sequoia edition? is there such a thing?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:59:10 PM »
thats the awesomest answer I ever got in a forum when questioning RPOs.

this site is awesome. Tell KIILew thanks and a big thanks to you too, Chris, for remembering and reposting it.

thanks. I have a bunch of those options.. awesome.  the PO must have gotten so many options, that he got 2 for free. lol.

take care and thanks again.

Pete,
1983 Silverado
1999 Yukon Denali 

Other problem: Off-Road R/C.     www.rccorral.com