Author Topic: 78 Long Bed on 85 K30 Crew Cab Fuel Filler Neck Issue  (Read 1440 times)

Offline rhedelius

• New Users
78 Long Bed on 85 K30 Crew Cab Fuel Filler Neck Issue
« on: June 12, 2019, 05:17:17 PM »
Bought truck (85 Crew K30) with no bed (PO kept flatbed). Found a clean 78 long bed and installed it. Went to attach fuel filler necks and the angle for the metal neck is off so for now they just hang in the wheel well area. Most of the posts I found are going the opposite direction (newer bed on older body). Eventually I'll get around at adding the trap door but for now, I need to be able to fill this up and drive it.

If I swap the filler neck to the earlier 73-78 style will that solve the issue?
Are the hose sizes different for the filler neck? (if so which hoses do I need to attach to tank and filler neck to make it work?)

Rock Auto has the following for a 78 K30:
LILAND GLOBAL IFN3360 Fuel Filler Pipe/Neck $35
LILAND GLOBAL IFNRH3310 Fuel Tank Vent Hose $17
LILAND GLOBAL IFNRH3302 Fuel Tank Filler Hose $20

Before spending $$, I'm hoping some of you have gone down this route or at least know what parts I need to make this work. It is a dual tank configuration.

Thank you for any assistance!

Rick
1985 K30 Crew Cab

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: 78 Long Bed on 85 K30 Crew Cab Fuel Filler Neck Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 05:09:11 AM »
I don't know the right answer, but my guess is that the crew cab configuration probably affects the fuel tank location. I used a newer bed with fuel doors (82?) on my '75, and just pulled the filler tubes from the junkyard to get it to fit. 

If you can get by for a while with the fillers in the wrong place, I would consider just buying a 40 gallon suburban tank and adding an in-bed filler.   There are several internet articles on how to make the conversion.  Its simpler in the long run than the dual tank setup with a six port valve, although you do lose space for the spare tire.

Bruce