Author Topic: They don't make them like they used to.  (Read 3194 times)

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
They don't make them like they used to.
« on: July 07, 2021, 07:05:52 AM »
I put it off for way too long. Over the last three weekends in my spare time I installed a bunch of new parts on my 77 C10. Complete upper control arms, shocks, lower control arm Ubolts, lower ball joint, lower control arm bushings, and replaced one bent lower control arm with a used one.

At the very end I had to use a 7mm wrench for a ball joint grease fitting. Other than that I didnt use a single metric tool.

Glad that job is done 8)
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Online Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
Re: They don't make them like they used to.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 09:29:34 AM »
 8)
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 06:57:34 PM »
That's all I've been saying as I bring this K5 back to life
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
  • Just a girl and her truck since 1978
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 03:14:41 PM »
I put it off for way too long. Over the last three weekends in my spare time I installed a bunch of new parts on my 77 C10. Complete upper control arms, shocks, lower control arm Ubolts, lower ball joint, lower control arm bushings, and replaced one bent lower control arm with a used one.

At the very end I had to use a 7mm wrench for a ball joint grease fitting. Other than that I didnt use a single metric tool.

Glad that job is done 8)

Wow, that is a lot of hard work.  Lucky you and no metric.  As MY luck would have it, my 78 was the year they decided they were going to start making the change to metric so some bolts are metric, some are SAE.  Very frustrating.......... >:(

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 06:55:32 AM »

Glad that job is done 8)

Wow, that is a lot of hard work.  Lucky you and no metric.  As MY luck would have it, my 78 was the year they decided they were going to start making the change to metric so some bolts are metric, some are SAE.  Very frustrating.......... >:(

I know how that goes. Working on my XJ is a mix of both and that is half the battle when wrenching on it.
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 09:28:18 AM »

Glad that job is done 8)

i think 78 was also they year they decided to START using metric fasteners on TH-350 transmissions---- so you've got a mix of metric AND standard fasteners on a TH-350!