Author Topic: Your favorite muffler performance wise.  (Read 22451 times)

Offline exilous

• Registered Users
Your favorite muffler performance wise.
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:07:33 PM »
Ok I am scoping around for some ideas for my C30 Project when I get to the exhaust section. I like planning very far ahead and the exhaust is a few weeks off in the distance. Either I'm going to go straight pipes from the manifolds to a set of muffles just behind the cab, OR I've been talking to my buddy who has an exhaust bender, and I'm debating whether I want to go straights off the manifolds bend up between the back of the cab and the headboard of the dump bed, and cut 2 holes in the top of the head board and make it like a big rig with flappers and everything. Seeing as how the new trend today is having big rig exhausts on your little rig pickup I figured I'd put a cool spin on things. Spice it up a bit.

Any ideas? Suggestions? I'm open to it all.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Your favorite muffler performance wise.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:04:20 AM »
It's personal taste. I'm not a fan of that design and prefer the exhaust exit at a 90° after the axle myself. Flowmasters have a nice tone but if you want different try some other mufflers. Summit has a lot to choose from.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline gold84gmc

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »
i dont know if you can find a way of doing it but i wanted to put duals coming out in front of the back tires but i couldnt becuase i have dual gas tanks and they were in the way, for mufflers i would personally go with flowmaster ive always liked how they sound, but i guess magnaflow sounds pretty good and you could also try some turbo mufflers
92 buick century custom 3.3L

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 11:00:41 AM »
Favorite is Dynomax followed closely by Mangnaflow.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:04:25 PM »

What about Pypes Race Flo?  Same design as Dynomax UltraFlo.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 12:13:27 PM »
I honestly haven't use anything except Pypes StreetFlo.  I liked them too.

Offline slammed79

• Thou shalt not drive stock
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 01:31:22 PM »
I've got 2.5" duals dumping in front of the tires on my 79. Flowmaster super 44's have a super crisp tone thats hard to beat. Dual tanks is not an issue with the exhaust.

74 C10 Long bed 350/SM465 Lowered on 20's

Praise the lowered

Offline fitz

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »
I'm a big fan of Dynomax. I replaced my Flowmasters on my car with Dynomax.It still sounds great, just a little less noise. I will probably do the same with my truck. Flowmasters are just a little too loud for my taste.

Offline 69byrd

• Haulin!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 05:05:23 PM »
I personnaly like the sound of flowmasters, I have mine dumped in front of the axel and it sounds great. The dynomax muffler is also a great sounding muffler with less noise.
84 C-10 Stepside       
54 Chevy Truck
Gotta Love Those Stepsides!
http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/69byrd/?start=all

Offline exilous

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »
Well I am running Flowmaster super 40s on my Hemi flavored dodge and it sounds nice. A great tone. Another question I have been doing some research in headers and looking into actual tuned headers not those crappy headers that fit and don't really do much. I came across something called "tri-Ys" and they have a great look to them and I asked around and a few mechanics I know say the are excellent headers, a bit pricey but the give a great range of power in all aspects. None of them knew whether or not they would fit on my truck I would assume they would. There is nothing special  2wd C30, 350 mated to a sm465. So While I was looking I couldnt really find any big name sites that sold them just smaller sites adn i don't really trust those smaller sites just because. Anyone know of any other places that might sell these Tri-Y headers?

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 11:36:03 PM »
Doug Thorley Tri-Y's are what I run on my truck.  They are excellent for stock to mild-performance motors and more compact design for a better fit.  They are probably best reserved for engines with less than a 270° (@ 0.006") duration cam.  Above that, it's best to go with a good 4-1 header or peak horsepower can suffer significantly.  (This is based on advice from David Vizard found in this book)

Unless something has changed, Chris is a dealer for Doug Thorley.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 11:40:42 PM by eventhorizon66 »
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline exilous

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 09:19:43 AM »
Do they make much of a sound difference?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 09:32:56 AM »
I put them on a 79 K20 350 a few years ago and had to grind them around the spark plugs to clear and the welds on the pipes were an ugly touch too so I was never a fan. Chris said he tried a set recently and loved them so I guess they've improved over the years. Let him chime in
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 11:10:40 AM »
I run Flowtech-style headers on mine with dual 2.25" exhaust, H pipe and Dynomax Ultraflos exiting to 3x18" Magnaflow slash-cut tips that are at a 45 or so behind my rear tire. After I did the cam and head upgrade, my exhaust got a fair bit louder. The Ultraflos are nice and give a pretty classic performance muffler sound. They don't drone as much as a Flowmaster I had on a different truck years ago and really 'snap and rap' when accelerating hard above 3500 rpm. I want to try Hooker Aerochambers though if and when I eventually upgrade to a full 2.5" dual exhaust.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline exilous

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 05:50:20 PM »
Well since I'm new here still I don't know peoples names so I dont know who chris is. haha