Author Topic: 82 C10 Factory power steering bracket with Headers?  (Read 19196 times)

Offline rick_c

82 C10 Factory power steering bracket with Headers?
« on: April 16, 2009, 02:01:18 PM »
Is there something I need to know about taking the factory power steering pump bracket and using it with headers? It looks like when I remove the A/C bracket, that it wont mount correctly... I'm taking the A/C bracket out completely..and just using the power steering bracket for clarification.

What do I do about it?

Thanks for any advise.....

Offline eventhorizon66

Re: 82 C10 Factory power steering bracket with Headers?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 02:32:27 PM »
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=9291.0

You should only have to modify the AC bracket.  All PS brackets should still work.

Also, welcome aboard.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline rick_c

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:06:27 PM »
Thanks bro...so do i need to cut off the part of the a/c bracket that would bolt to the exhaust manifold from the factory?

Thats the only thing I can come up with...

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:46:04 PM »
Only the rear section that bolts to the second bolt needs to be cut off.  Notice in the pic that the bracket still uses the first exhaust header bolt.

My headers also came with a spacer that goes between the AC bracket and header flange.  This will be needed to make up the difference in thickness between the factory manifolds and the header flange.

Before:

After:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:49:20 PM by eventhorizon66 »

Offline rick_c

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:29:19 PM »
Thanks for the pics, that helps. But I'm not going to use my A/C at all. My compressor was thrown away years ago. So is there some way I can delete it from the picture entirely? Is there some kind of spacer I can buy or something?

Thanks

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 12:33:53 AM »
your compressor was thrown away, then whats the problem? i just removed mine and took away the belt for it or get one smaller
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 10:19:27 AM »
Irish: I think what he is refering to is eliminating the AC bracket itself.  The lower bolt position supports the PS pump.

rick: You could cut the AC bracket just above the foward mounting hole as shown in the below pic, because the PS pump does need some support there to keep it from bending inward under the belt's pressure.  But I would probably just modify the bracket as shown in my last post, because if you ever decide to run AC again, you'd kick yourself for ruining the bracket.

Offline jefferias

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 09:05:22 PM »
just a thought-  auto wreckers will have the power steering mount your looking for that will bolt in and no fab work.  i used my p/s mount with my headers and just used a big spacer when bolting all together. so yeah i say just grab another mount that is non/ac and it will probably cost yeah like 2 bucks!

Offline rick_c

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 11:13:13 PM »
Thats interesting...i'll call a junkyard about that, but I don't think I've ever seen a factory non A/C truck in this part of Texas. Maybe I can find one through   or something.

Event: I had considered that, but I have a split rear window and a high heat tollerance. I'm willing to do anything to get this thing to work. Even take out the power steering if neccessary... Thats an awesome pic, how do you do the graphics? All else fails, I'm going with that.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 12:23:14 AM »
Thats an awesome pic, how do you do the graphics?

LOL, just MS Paint.

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 08:14:09 PM »
I usually go find non-ac brackets, they can come from cars or trucks or whatever, no problems.  then make about a 1-3/8" spacer and use the original boolt and shim with washers if need be.  I use 1" round solid drilled through center and milled on 1 side to clear the tube... sure beats the 50 dollar jegs brackets.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 04:37:48 AM »
something else that through me off was my ac was on the right side not left so it didn't hook up with the p/s. had a couple milk containers of brackets didn't know what i had at the time so i scraped them wish i never did that, i could of helped out a lot of people with them
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jlane1820

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 11:18:04 AM »
Sorry to jump in on this so late, but I have the same dilemma adding headers, also to an 82.

eventhorizon66: great idea, as I was also wondering how to pull it off. I do have my compressor and PS pump so I needed this bracket mod. However, you mentioned a spacer that came with your headers to make up for the difference in thicknesses between the header and stock manifold. My headers did not include this spacer but I can make one. Do you happen to know the approximate length of that spacer? I'm assuming you have a 3/8" flange on those headers too, right?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:24:42 AM by jlane1820 »

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »
eventhorizon66: great idea, as I was also wondering how to pull it off. I do have my compressor and PS pump so I needed this bracket mod. However, you mentioned a spacer that came with your headers to make up for the difference in thicknesses between the header and stock manifold. My headers did not include this spacer but I can make one. Do you happen to know the approximate length of that spacer? I'm assuming you have a 3/8" flange on those headers too, right?

The spacer is about 1.125" when reusing the factory manifold bolt (the one with the stud on the end) at this location.  If you are using a plain long bolt the spacer will need to be a bit longer, maybe 1.5".  I will try to go out later and take a pic of why this is the case, rather try to explain it.  Yes my headers have a 3/8" thick flange.

Offline jlane1820

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 09:48:07 AM »
Thanks for the info! I know getting a pic of that may be easier said than done since it's in a tight location, but I think I know what you mean so no worries. I plan on using the factory stud for that particular bolt anyway, I was just needing a ballpark figure to work with.