73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Electrical

Bulkhead Help

(1/2) > >>

Chanman09:
Ok guys,

I've got my 1986 C20 Silverado 350/350 starting and running well enough to get me around the neighborhood worry free.  The truck, since last post, received new battery cables, a new starter, new distributor cap, rotor and ignition module.  New spark plugs and wires have and chasing vacuum leaks have got this thing cold starting with 2 pedal pumps and running quite well.  I have an exhaust leak that bugs me, but it's from the plugged manifold that will be replaced with non plugged manifolds later. 

Now I'm ready to start what I've put off.  Electrical. 

Here's what works:

Interior
  dome light
  Radio- comes on and screeches- won't pick up station
  gauges- although fuel gauge shows full- I forgot to add the ground wire when I put in new sending unit.  will do later.
  dash lights- choke, blinker lights
  clock works, but I don't set it, because I unhook battery
  Some clicking under dash.  I don't know if it's a blower fan or the clock or what, but as soon as there is power, it's clicking and remains clicking until I unhook battery

Front lights
  Front, left side blinker/marker light
  Right side blinker and markers work if I touch the separated wires together. 

Rear lights
  None work- lol

All fuses under the dash test positive with a test light-  INSTR LPS with a 5fuse in it test very dull with the light.  A new fuse did not fix the weak dull test light. 

Test light comes on at the junction of red and pink wires on the center of the firewall.  Test light comes on when pushed into all engine wires of the bulkhead. 

Test light DOES NOT come on when stuffed into the front wiring harness or rear wiring harness areas.  (I may be wrong in even assuming that's a method to test??) 

Ok.  My thought process...

The far, passenger side blinker works....so there's juice headed up there.  And most wires are obvisouly chewed through or rotted.  Should I replace each wire one at a time.   :-\

Or do I cut  in front of damages and correctly splice new material to light or whatever?

Also, am I wrong in assuming that if the truck starts, the bulkhead should all be working and should get electricity to where it needs to go once grounds and proper connections are checked/fixed?

I'm overwhelmed and need some direction.  I don't mind the work and can establish patience in a job.

I've put this off for a reason or 20.   Mainly, I'm new to electrical stuff.  I don't fully understand it all and how it magically works vs should work and doesn't. 

Thanks for all your input,  I can almost bet money on who will have great answers, as I peruse and have been searching the site for months on similar subjects. 

Cheers!

JohnnyPopper:
bd is your man on all things electrical... 8)

Mike81K10:
I would disconnect each harness, lighting, rear, engine, and Etc. Then I would replace each wire damaged with a new one. Buy the correct color and gauge wires. Replace connectors and terminals where needed as well. Splicing wires only leads to future problems, especially on a large scale. Spicing one or two wires, not so bad. But multiple wires, not good. Use heat shrink tubing and try to sty away from electrical tape. Ensure you double check everything with the wiring diagrams. Only ensure you have good grounds. Alternative, buy a new harness!

As JP said, bd is the electrical expert here. However, I believe what I said has merit.

Chanman09:

--- Quote from: JohnnyPopper on March 05, 2024, 12:13:26 AM ---bd is your man on all things electrical... 8)

--- End quote ---

That’s exactly who I was expecting to respond with plenty of info! Lol.

Chanman09:

--- Quote from: Mike81K10 on March 05, 2024, 01:07:38 AM ---I would disconnect each harness, lighting, rear, engine, and Etc. Then I would replace each wire damaged with a new one. Buy the correct color and gauge wires. Replace connectors and terminals where needed as well. Splicing wires only leads to future problems, especially on a large scale. Spicing one or two wires, not so bad. But multiple wires, not good. Use heat shrink tubing and try to sty away from electrical tape. Ensure you double check everything with the wiring diagrams. Only ensure you have good grounds. Alternative, buy a new harness!

As JP said, bd is the electrical expert here. However, I believe what I said has merit.

--- End quote ---

I definitely am thinking about a new harness altogether.  A lot of the headaches it will save me will show up in other places.  I really didn't want to strip out the dash and seat and carpet.  I just want to drive the truck. lol

I know the answer, to do it right and to be legit, I need to do all new wires everywhere.  But it seems like such a time suck. lol. I want to have fun now!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version