Author Topic: Painting/coating frame and underbody  (Read 1584 times)

Offline robosmurf

Painting/coating frame and underbody
« on: November 23, 2018, 12:28:07 PM »
Any recommendations for protecting the frame and underside of an 84 C20?

It's an Arizona truck relocated to North Carolina so no salt luckily. I'm going to keep the original paint and condition and the frame is in great condition. Anything I should do to keep it in good condition?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

84 c20 Camper Special
454ci with TBI

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Painting/coating frame and underbody
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 01:22:25 PM »
You could get a million suggestions on your question regarding frame and chassis coatings like corrosion protection stuff.  However, being a southwest truck and if your free of flaky rust and now in the southeast, then i would say a light coating of some rust protection spray. When i drove my 77 year round here in the northeast, i would soak it underneath and then some with all kinds of oily stuff. I like lanolin based fluid film, some think its junk though. It works great for me.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 01:25:06 PM by philo_beddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline Ed4all10

Re: Painting/coating frame and underbody
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 08:05:11 PM »
As stated, Fluid Film is the way to go. Be careful though, and make sure not to spray it on any existing rust spots or rust bubbles, because it will hold moisture in. I also live in a state (VA) that likes to use brine and road salt, and every fall 8 spray my square with a couple cans of fluid film. Make sure to use the nozzle and get into all the nooks and crannies.