Author Topic: speedometer issues  (Read 2301 times)

Offline shawnwatson2424

speedometer issues
« on: June 20, 2014, 06:35:21 AM »
So I have a 79 c10 bonanza I  nwe'd two cables cause there's cruise control and at this point I don't know if I have ththe right cables the upper fits but the lower was having issues going into I believe the ratio adapter?  Heavy forbid O'Reillys having the right part I've been up there 15 times trying to get the right length of speedometer cable, also I need a head unit since I broke the needle off, and where do I get this ratio adapter? It's the piece on the rear of the transmission

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: speedometer issues
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »
     The "speedometer driven gear" R&R instructions in the 79 manual found in the tech section is in section 7A-19(page 862) for an automatic transmission. 
     The "speedometer drive gear" R&R instructions are next, page 7A-19 & 7A-20 (pages 862 & 863).
     For a manual transmission, it is section 7B-17(page 904).
     As far as where to buy, I have not needed to yet so have not done any research, have you tried a search on the web like, gm speedp gears, or gm speedo calibration.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:16:15 AM »
Is there a ratio adapter on it now?  Is it a 90-degree drive ratio adapter, or just a straight through?  Do you know what ratio it is?  Is it non-functional?  Have you pulled the driven gear out to see what color it and the drive gear are?  Yjos os pretty easy to do.

If you tell me the drive gear color (look in the hole with a flashlight), the driven gear color, and the ratio of the ratio adapter (for AC D0elco 90-degree adapters, it may be stamped on the side; for others, you can turn the driven side 10 turns with a screwdriver while counting the turns the output side makes), I can give you options, part numbers, and probably suppliers.  I just went through all this.
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline shawnwatson2424

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 11:04:25 PM »
I haven't forgotten yall I worked late and didn't even touch the truck I'll get back to you tomorrow