Author Topic: Best "budget" electric fuel pump  (Read 6102 times)

Offline Goobzilla

Best "budget" electric fuel pump
« on: July 06, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Looking to make the switch to an electric fuel pump in my Stepside.  It doesn't get driven very often so the fuel line is usually dry and I hate using the battery to crank it over and prime it.  Dumping gas down the carb or starting fluid every time I want to start it really don't appeal to me either.  So I'm looking for an electric pump, anyone have any good experiences with a universal fuel pump they'd like to share?  Looking for one that doesn't require a regulator.  Thanks for the help!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Best "budget" electric fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:27:57 PM »
An in tank pump is the best but it isn't the cheapest way out. Just like a mechanical fuel pump an electric pump inline can also lose it's prime. Most auto parts stores carry a universal low pressure 12v pump though.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:32:53 PM »
I have a holley electric pump and Ive had it for over 7 years. I got the red one that doesnt need a regulator. Ive never had a problem with start up, i just let it prime for a few seconds if I havent driven it for awhile and im good. The only down side is that it is on when the key is on. So, if i need to have the key on, but engine off, like when im messing around with other electronic stuff, it is on. I would set it up on a relay, like i did and mount it in a accessible area so you can remove the relay when messing with other electronics.

Offline Mr Diesel

• Frequent Member
  • Aaron
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:54:44 PM »
Airtex and Bestest make good universal ones for around $50 from most stores. I have used them for years and had great luck with them. Don't mount them near any hot surfaces, and preferably not under the hood where it could get hot; they don't last long if they get very hot.
The last one I hooked up I bought an oil pressure swich from OReilly's and ran the power wire through there. No relay, just hot wire to the switch and from there to pump. So far so good. Pump only runs when there is 2-5 psi of oil pressure.
1976 C20 Crewcab, 6.2L/SM465
1982 K30 Crewcab , 427TD/TH400
1983 C30, 6.2L/TH400
1983 K30 Crewcab 454/700R4
1986 K10 350/400. 1989 K30 cab/chassis 454/SM465

Offline jaredts

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:25:09 PM »
Airtex and Bestest make good universal ones for around $50 from most stores. I have used them for years and had great luck with them. Don't mount them near any hot surfaces, and preferably not under the hood where it could get hot; they don't last long if they get very hot.
The last one I hooked up I bought an oil pressure swich from OReilly's and ran the power wire through there. No relay, just hot wire to the switch and from there to pump. So far so good. Pump only runs when there is 2-5 psi of oil pressure.
That sounds like a good idea with the pressure switch--assuming that while cranking the switch gets made pretty fast.  It won't help Goobzilla much though as it sounds like he wants to fill his carb without all the cranking.

Offline TexasRed

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 02:23:39 PM »
He can wire in a secondary switch to provide ground when he flips it, just has to remember to flip it off after running.

Offline bgctrading

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 06:50:22 PM »
Vile can you explain to me why an intank pump is best. If it ever quits it is more of a pain to change out. I am not trying to be rude I just didnt realize it was best.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 07:02:03 PM »
Quieter, self cooling, no loss of prime, lasts longer, no vapor lock and it's stealth
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bgctrading

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »
Good enough.