Author Topic: repeat posts: forum maintenance  (Read 6734 times)

Offline vervepipes

repeat posts: forum maintenance
« on: August 19, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
As a new member to the forum, but not new to tech forums, I find one frustrating part of the site. Repeat posts.  May I suggest going through the posts and deleting threads asking "how do I blank" that have one or two responses(or none) that refer to other posts, or old posts with no replies, or threads that are clearly outdated having nothing but dead links?

I do not make these comments as a smartypants complainer (notice my family oriented language, :) ), I just think that a little maintenance is due to keep the relevant knowledge base easily accessible for veteran and new members to the community.

To conclude, I have been on other sites where there are moderator on specific forums (IE suspension and performance) and they maintain those forums and moderate for inappropriate posts to make the job easier for the site moderators, usually these positions are reserved for well trusted veteran members.

Again, not site bashing at all, just a suggestion
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:47:38 PM by vervepipes »
'86 GMC High Sierra 3+3, 350, TH400

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
Re: repeat posts: forum maintenance
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:51:29 AM »
chill out.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 08:21:46 PM »
     A lot of times if it is repeat and we catch it we will guide the person asking to the previously stated post.  Other times it is a lot of people giving their own advice on topics or questions, granted they may not always be right, but everyone has a right to say what they want as long as it is in the guide lines the moderators have set.
     I guess some of the time they could go un-noticed, their is a lot of people on here and the moderators can not catch everything.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 08:53:08 PM »
I can see where he comes from on a post that maybe a month old or older and there are no replies yet. But who know maybe someone will come across it and know what the problem is. Now I also like the fact that you can do a search and find 6 year old post. So there's no need to ask the same question again
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline vervepipes

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 02:15:21 AM »
chill out.

I didnt think there was a need to "chill out", just making observations and suggestions in the site suggestions forum.
'86 GMC High Sierra 3+3, 350, TH400

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 11:33:26 AM »
I understand your suggestions but do not agree with them. As long as the content is acceptable there is no need to over moderate. This isn't a book, it's a community and a place for people to freely discuss 73-87's. If a post is a repetitious question most will typically point them to a thread with the answer or we'll make a sticky. I don't agree with deleting content unless it's inappropriate. If a thread belongs together, we will typically merge topics.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 08:54:53 PM »
I dont' delete topics from the forum that is 73-87 info.  If it is inappropriate info I remove it.
If you see posts that are inappropriate, or multi-posting of the same topic and it is current, report it and it will be fixed.  If you see some that need to be merged, report it and we will fix it also.

Offline roadrage41

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 08:08:33 AM »
I ran an automotive forum for several years and can tell you from first hand knowledge, that no matter how many faq's you make, how many topics you sticky, merge, delete, etc... someone is always going to make a new topic about who makes the best _____, or my ______ is broke how do i fix it, simply because they don't want to take the time to read and its easier to get someone to respond to them directly.
official go'fer/ broom pusher/ token fat guy of www.yatesefi.com

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »
on the impala form im on people used to blow head gaskets when someone ask a repeat question. "use the search button" and slam the people who asked a question
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline paniolo

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 11:17:20 AM »
I'm a newbie here, but I have been around lots of other forums and before that mailing lists.  While this type of complaint had some validity in the mailing list era I personally don't see the problem unless it becomes seriously abusive.  By that I mean 3-4 repeated topics on the first page or two or a few times a week on a slow board.  You are under no obligation to open a repeat question topic.  If it bothers you just don't click on it.  Also, most any topic that can be thought of has been covered.  If nothing was ever repeated most boards would effectively become read only.  To me the appeal of a board is the give and take between the members.  Which includes discussions of old topics and the occasional new twist on something. 

Just my humble opinion.  BTW I think the mods do a great job here.
David M.
'81 C20 Suburban, tow pkg, 454, TH400, 14bb