Author Topic: How do you hook up a 2 step rev limiter?  (Read 8466 times)

Offline sbx22

• Registered Users
  • 1974 1/2 ton 350 sbc
How do you hook up a 2 step rev limiter?
« on: March 29, 2012, 11:05:21 PM »
I have the MSD 6AL-2 right now. I want to activate the 2-step and do some launches. I've been doing some research, reading the manual, but what the heck is a trans-brake and what is a line lock solenoid? Where are they located? Can someone tell me step by step how to wire this, and also where I can find these on my truck? 74 C10 350/350. 

Offline HAULIN IT

Re: How do you hook up a 2 step rev limiter?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 05:54:20 PM »
what the heck is a trans-brake and what is a line lock solenoid? Where are they located? Can someone tell me step by step how to wire this, and also where I can find these on my truck? 74 C10 350/350. 
Unless someone added them, you don't have either one. They are not factory items. The instructions should be rather clear. Lorne

Offline codyC10kid

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 07:44:12 PM »
the transbreak is a aftemarket part a stock tranny doesnt have...the transbreak locks the forward gear and the reverse gear together and when a transbreak switch is let off it lounches like a rocket....line lock i have no idea what that is

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »
....line lock i have no idea what that is

A tow truck I used to operate had a line lock on the rear brake line.  You would stop and flip the lever then let off the brake.  It worked quicker and held better than the parking brake.  I am assuming that it what they are...
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:08:09 PM »

A tow truck I used to operate had a line lock on the rear brake line.  You would stop and flip the lever then let off the brake.  It worked quicker and held better than the parking brake.  I am assuming that it what they are...
Zieg, Just a "for thought" conversation. We put the linelocks on the front axle of our wreckers & flatbeds. With the driveshaft or back wheels having the E-brake, this gives you 4 wheel brakes. This is good for several reasons. If you pulling a vehicle using the winch, you have 4 friction areas on the ground...this is real helpful on slippery roads. Also the back axle is most times closer to the edge of the road where it's more likely to be slippery, light gravel, ect. so when using the front brakes...they are in the middle of the road. With the flatbeds, you can take the weight off of the back axle if the bed is angled a bit too much...on a slippery day, the truck can slide ahead. Once it starts moving it's not always pretty. Lorne

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 06:16:19 AM »

Zieg, Just a "for thought" conversation. We put the linelocks on the front axle of our wreckers & flatbeds. With the driveshaft or back wheels having the E-brake, this gives you 4 wheel brakes. This is good for several reasons. If you pulling a vehicle using the winch, you have 4 friction areas on the ground...this is real helpful on slippery roads. Also the back axle is most times closer to the edge of the road where it's more likely to be slippery, light gravel, ect. so when using the front brakes...they are in the middle of the road. With the flatbeds, you can take the weight off of the back axle if the bed is angled a bit too much...on a slippery day, the truck can slide ahead. Once it starts moving it's not always pretty. Lorne

I have also done this on jeeps and earlier broncos in my off roading days, sometimes the rear wheels are not always planted enough to hold a vehicle alone when you had to get out, having the front axle (on a 4wd in 4wd) or driveline with a line lock could mean the difference on whether your vehicle stayed where you parked it or not.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom