Author Topic: '78 3/4 ton 4X4 project  (Read 4973 times)

Offline Russ130

• Frequent Member
'78 3/4 ton 4X4 project
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:52:22 PM »
I decided to start a thread on this project mainly to force myself to document everything I've done on this truck. It's too late and the truck is not here right now to take decent pics of it tonight. So I will post a couple of pics of one area that is going to need some attention and I have pics of one of the probably many donor trucks. My goal is to get this truck ready for paint in the next 2 months. I have some work on the cab to do like cab corners, floor boards and some dent removal as well. I have already built and installed the motor (383) and the tranny (350). I have rewired the charging system, starting system, ignition system and headlights. I will post pics of all that soon and go into detail on some of it. I still have the t-case, rear ends and driveshafts to upgrade and or attend to. I will be removing a rough lift kit and return it to factory height which means removing some hockey pucks as well. lol I will be installing a new slider and bumpers soon as well. I have already picked out the color which is a blue saw on a brand new Subaru WRX. While sitting at a light behind one, both my daughters at the same time said 'that color would look cool on my truck'. If I wasn't already thinking the same thing I would still be planning on Corvette Yellow. lol I think that is about as blatant of a sign as I'll ever need. lol So without further ado here are some pics to kick this post off.

These are of the body work needed on the cab.

Offline Russ130

• Frequent Member
Re: '78 3/4 ton 4X4 project
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:59:57 PM »
A couple more and a couple pics of a donor truck. Out of this truck I am grabbing the bed, some interior trim, a factory radio, speedo cable, the A/C, the gas tank, the TBI with all sensors and the entire wiring harness. It has a factory oil cooler which I will probably grab as well.

Offline Russ130

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:04:58 PM »
The donor after day one of tear down which is about 3 hrs into it. The rear bumper is also off.

Offline Russ130

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:30:01 PM »
Ok the donor truck is gone and everything is sold with the exception of the 350. Go figure the economy is so bad I can't even sell the a running 350 for a buck. Oh well I'll find a place to put it and work on gathering parts to do a repower on my boat with it. So anyhow I have come to the decision that my truck is going to be a '78/'87-'91. Meaning on the outside it will look like a '78 but inside it will be completely updated with every possible option. Its going to be a month or so before I really get going on this build as I gather parts, materials and the tools needed to complete the job. What I mean by complete is just getting it painted and put back together again. Then it will be on to the interior.