Author Topic: My 73 4x4  (Read 51161 times)

Offline 4x4Cowgirl

• Registered Users
  • Country girls like it dirty
    • Facebook
Re: My 73 4x4
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »
OH that. LoL.  I'll have to go look at it tomorrow for you and let you know. I thought u were talkin bout somethin else my bad  :D

Offline 1983stepside

• Frequent Member
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 11:01:01 AM »
that pic is a pic of a e brake cable

Offline frogman68

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 11:02:39 AM »
that pic is a pic of a e brake cable

Beyond the E-Cable

Offline 4x4orbust

• Frequent Member
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 12:06:24 PM »
yep that's an easy way to make a brake line fit that's to long.    i did almost the same thing on my 82.   works like a charm.
1982 chevy K-10 SWB, 355 th350/np208. 2.5"lift, 33" swampers, headers/duals,  current project

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 03:28:04 PM »
I would not like having brake lines like that. Too risky of getting it snagged while wheeling or unavoidable debris on the roadway. Even though you will still have front brakes, your stopping distance increases. Plus it shows lazyness because you didnt want to make it fit right. It does go well with the garden hose used for the heater hose.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 04:48:13 AM »
i hate those 78 and older"i think" engines with the dip stick on the wrong side lol maybe it ain't that bad if the truck ain't lifted but its a pain when it is and you jump up on the wrong side to check it only to find the dip stick is on the other side then you shimmy down the bumper and slip and bust your knees grrrrrr
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 4x4Cowgirl

• Registered Users
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 12:26:46 PM »
LOL yeah its all ghetto rigged, but that's what happens when u get someone else's toy. But I'll fix it all eventually.

But I took the heads to the machine shop, they're gettin rebuilt and sandblasted then painted, so they'll be good as new. Get them back Monday. I sanded the block and got some engine primer on there since its supposed to rain today, that way it doesn't rust. But we are gonna get back on it tomorrow. We found out that it IS the rear main seal that's causin the oil leak, so it sucks, but at least now we know. Well, here's some more pics of the motor for yall, I will keep the pics comin!

Offline JessesTrucks

• 1977 K10 Stepside
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2010, 10:49:33 PM »
Nice Stepside, what color are you going to paint your truck, I kind of like the gray. I also like the rear mount gas tank but where do you fill it at.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:52:05 PM by JessesTrucks »

Offline jaredts

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2010, 06:29:29 AM »
I see that you're painting your engine, but haven't disassembled yet.  Aren't you going to rebuild it while its out?  Are you just going to try to rering it and hone it yourself?  After asking many trusted friends, the story I've gotten is that its worth the money to send it to the machine shop to have it bored and honed.  They also clean up the block, check for cracks, and usually paint the block for you.  They will also often install your camshaft bearings.  Just curious what the plans are.  If you get by without sending this to a machine shop I'd love to see how this turns out.  Best wishes either way!

Offline 4x4Cowgirl

• Registered Users
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2010, 10:03:41 PM »
JessesTrucks: Well for now, I am just gonna get the bed painted silver to match the cab. But once I can afford a good paint job, I am debating on either a sunburst orange or a really nice blue. As for the gas tank, it still has the filler neck on the side of the bed, but I am plannin on remounting it in the center of the bed floor that way it doesn't take so long to fill up.

Jaredts: Yeah the only reason I primered it was to see how it took. But upon taking the block to the machine shop today to get the cylinders honed and the blocked checked out we found out that my block wasn't stock. It was bored .060 over!!!! Some of the cylinders had a lip in them, therefore it needed to be bored even more in order to make the cylinder walls smooth, but .080 over is pushin it with a small block. So the guy made me a deal and I am just getting a brand new short block for $350.00

So all this work about rebuilding my old motor went out the window and I am getting a brand new short block Friday morning! My heads are already there getting rebuilt, so by Friday I will have a brand new motor basically. I'm kinda excited though, less problems to worry about and it's easier than nickling and diming with parts here and there. So that's the newest with my truck, lol. It should be back up on the road sometime next week

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2010, 10:27:35 PM »
Thats a pretty good deal on that block. Did you happen to grab the casting number off of it and check what it was?

Offline 4x4Cowgirl

• Registered Users
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 10:54:38 PM »
Off of the new block that I am gettin or my old one?

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 11:02:23 PM »
New block.

Offline 4x4Cowgirl

• Registered Users
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2010, 11:05:52 PM »
No he had a whole bunch up there, tomorrow we have to take him the main caps that went with my old block, so if he has started putting it together for me I will try to get the casting number.  ;D

Offline jaredts

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2010, 06:12:36 AM »
$350 sounds like a good deal.  I assume thats for a block that hasn't been rebuilt, since the machine work to rebuild one is quite a bit more than that.  If you're getting something even half-way decent thats a steal.