Author Topic: My 80' C10  (Read 80227 times)

Offline overthepond

• Frequent Member
Re: My 80' C10
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 02:45:54 PM »
Been welding like a mad man lately... ;D
Decided to remove the previous owners self made rockers and cab corners and replace them with the correct panels as they were out of alignment with the door,i also had to remake the gutter as he decided to remove it completely and weld the floor flat to the step...in all i found about 3 inner rockers and 2 outers all self made and just placed on top of one another...WTH.
This guy must have had a few aircon units laying around as the amount of galvanised metal he used was hilarious.
Next job was to tackle the area around the d/s hood bumper as it had all but deteriorated along with the corner of the windshield frame..(later job)...odd that it rotted out on one side only..?
The cab is now starting to feel and look solid again after a few hours work... ;D

Dave
When all else fails...try again.

Offline jaredts

Re: My 80' C10 (updated)
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 01:16:58 PM »
A lot of work there!  You've been busy.  If you don't mind, I've got a few questions.  Did you leave out the inner rocker?  I ask because you welded on the rocker panel and then repaired the edge of the floor to meet it.  Seems like that would be difficult if you were connecting it to the inner rocker like factory.  Are you going to weld the rectangular floor patch down to the cab floor support?  That seems like an important part of the structure, but maybe not???  I feel for you on the windshield corner.  That looks tough to repair, but you apparently have some great welding skills.

Offline overthepond

• Frequent Member
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 02:36:38 PM »
Good question.. ;D

The inner rocker was a nightmare to look at so it was removed along with the other junk,rather than replace with a stock inner i'm gonna replace with box section as i did on the blazer,sorta like sliders but hidden.
It was a lot of work to get the floor to meet the rocker but it paid off and looks good from below,a few seams to clean up and its ready for seam sealer and paint..

The floor supports are another story,home made so they are going tomorrow and getting replaced with new sections,everything will be welded where it should be...but as you can imagine the phantom welder has been everywhere and the time its taking to remove his handywork and put it right is the killer.... ;D

Windshield corner...tough one to do but i'm persistant (i think).
Dave

Offline overthepond

• Frequent Member
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 03:58:25 PM »
Need help on a paint code for a nice chevy red...any numbers guy's... ???
Dave

Offline jaredts

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »
I like the box section idea.  Are you looking for a factory chevrolet color, or just a good red?

Offline overthepond

• Frequent Member
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 06:00:34 PM »
Both... ;D

Sorted,its going Boyd Red.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:51:59 AM by overthepond »
Dave

Offline overthepond

• Frequent Member
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 01:33:08 PM »
Finally got the nerve to tackle the windshield corner that had rotted out on the drivers side...not yet finished but its getting there.. :-\
This is where im at now..in between the rain and wind.
Oh and before i forget..my front panel on the bed is beyond repair,has anyone ever replaced these with a angle frame and hardwood timber,sorta like a fence.... ;D

Dave

Offline overthepond

• Frequent Member
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2010, 02:03:31 PM »
Ha ha...just when i thought i was making a bit progress after finding the cracked leafs and sorting that problem out my truck decided to throw this at me today.
Me and my oldest refitted the rear axle then set about removing the drums so i could blast them...this is what we found.. ???
The last pic clearly shows the distress... ;D

Dave

Offline overthepond

• Frequent Member
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 07:49:04 AM »
Well i've decided that if i cant get the complete section that has rotted out on my cab around the lower windshield area the truck is gonna have to go for recycling.
I've looked high and low for a cab that i could cut the section out of but no luck at all,i tried making it but its just too complex of a shape to get right.. :-\
If anyone is swapping a cab out that is good in this area would there be any chance of saving this section and selling it to me..desperate times.
Thanks,Dave.
Dave

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: My 80' C10 (updated with a plea of help)
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 09:12:51 AM »
I've got one I may be scrapping next week.... Show me exactly what you need?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline overthepond

• Frequent Member
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 09:37:55 AM »
Thanks Vile..i'll get a pic within the next couple of hours and mark it out.. ;)
Dave

Offline overthepond

• Frequent Member
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2010, 10:29:15 AM »
Here is a couple of pics Vile,
I've marked where i need,its the outer skin section if you can manage that or the whole chunk... ???

Dave

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
Piece of cake. I'm sure myself along with many other here have a scrapper to help you out with. I'm on vaca this week but next week I'll be back and I have two trucks there for parts. I'll check on the condition of that area.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline overthepond

• Frequent Member
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2010, 07:53:35 PM »
Vile you dont know how much i appreciate you even looking into this for me,i just want this thing back on the road rather than lying under a piece of euro trash...have a great vacation.
Dave

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2010, 08:41:21 PM »
Thanks. I have a busy first half of the week and am refinancing my mortgage but if byt Tuesday I haven't gotten back to me PM me so I remember!
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)