Author Topic: Farm Field Revival  (Read 84178 times)

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Farm Field Revival
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 04:47:11 PM »
Great color blue, just from looking at the picture I can smell the paint still curing....
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline mikek20

• Registered Users
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 06:55:15 PM »
Yea its a base/clear. Took forever to choose the color. Actually tried a single stage last year and hated it. So many paint samples were involved in choosing.

Offline ssapach

• Registered Users
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »
Very nice, I love the blue you chose as well!

Offline mikek20

• Registered Users
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 07:57:15 AM »
We unwrapped the frame and pushed it outside for the first time.  It looks like awhole new blue from inside the garage.
assembly time is here.

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 08:52:19 AM »
assembly time is here.

Oh yes, assembly time is here.   ;D
It's so much more fun to be in this phase. Most things you're putting together are clean and you know you're on the rebuilding side instead of the tearing apart side.
Take lots of pictures and post updates as you can. We live to watch rebuilds !!   :)

Yes, the color can change a whole lot when you get it out in the sun. Taking pictures of the color inside your shop can be a challenge to say the least !!

Offline Edahall

• Frequent Member
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2012, 10:21:19 AM »

also note we removed the steering column, windshield and read window. Cab is almost ready for paint.

How hard was it to remove the windshield?  Were you able to get it out without breaking it?  I'm about ready to do the same thing on my Suburban so I can paint it as well.
1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
-Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
-6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
-Gear Vendors Overdrive
-Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears
-2" Lift

Offline mikek20

• Registered Users
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2012, 04:01:05 PM »
I can answer that two ways. One is to say that it is doable to remove it with basic tools without breaking it. Tto address the other part of your question, i did break mine removing it. That was all my impatience and a small crack i already had in one corner.the Guy helping me had alot of patience and would of had it out if i just let him work his magic. We used a hood release cable without the sleeve on outside of it, poked hole in between seal and glass. And made a sawing action with cable through hole all the way around the glass. It just breaks the seal and pushes the rubber to one side so it all pops out. 

Offline mikek20

• Registered Users
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2012, 01:11:41 AM »

inner fenders and top of the core support are now blue. The engine bay is mocked up to give a quick insight of what is to come.

Offline ChaseDale3and8

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2012, 06:31:30 AM »
Awesome build!!!!! Did you have any clearance issues with the 2wd cab on the 4x4 chassis as far as the  transfer case not clearing the floor? If so, what did you do to make it work, and do you have pictures of how you modified it? I have an '86 K10. I bought an '86 2wd cab to replace my 4x4 cab with since it has rust issues. My replacement cab is currently sitting on my garage floor and needs to be modified to fit my 4x4 chassis. My truck has a 4-speed trans. Looks like to me from the pictures that you posted of yours that an auto seems to fit a lot better than what mine will with the 4-speed trans. I bought a bolt in center section for the donor cab, but it looks like I need to cut the floor pan under the seat to make it work, and then find another donor cab that I can cut up and graft in some sheetmetal  under the seat to match up to the bolt in center. I'd like to see more detailed pictures of yours and see how it all comes together. GREAT JOB so far and keep the pictures coming!!!!! ....Joe

Offline mikek20

• Registered Users
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »
My 4x4 frame is an 84' with the straight transmission crossmember. When i put my cab on the frame it actually cleared. I did shim the crossmember though. Where the crossmember mounts to the frame with 4 bolts, i added 1/2" spacers between the crossmember and frame to drop the transfer case just enough to feel comfortable. My 2wd floor is the low hump, i left the 2wd floor in and made a hole in the floor for transfer case shifter. My linkage for it is all custom but works perfectly fine. I will look for any detailed pictures though.

Offline mikek20

• Registered Users
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 01:15:28 PM »
Rear window is tinted and installed. Working on windshield now. Sound deadener is all laid in. Its coming together nicely.

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 06:35:05 PM »
I love the build man, Especially the story that it was your grandpas....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:45:17 PM by hotrod24 »
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...

Offline ChaseDale3and8

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 07:08:08 AM »
My 4x4 frame is an 84' with the straight transmission crossmember. When i put my cab on the frame it actually cleared. I did shim the crossmember though. Where the crossmember mounts to the frame with 4 bolts, i added 1/2" spacers between the crossmember and frame to drop the transfer case just enough to feel comfortable. My 2wd floor is the low hump, i left the 2wd floor in and made a hole in the floor for transfer case shifter. My linkage for it is all custom but works perfectly fine. I will look for any detailed pictures though.

Thanks! I'd love to see all the pictures that you have! I'll have to look at mine and see, but I'm sure that the 2wd cab that I have is going to have to be modified somewhat since I have a 4-speed. Maybe I'll get lucky and it won't be as big of a deal to do as I originally thought. Seeing yours at least gives me some hope! The replacement cab I have is also a low hump. I have a 4 inch lift on my truck and shimming the cross member down would help mine with drive line angles, especially since it's the short wheelbase. Love the build! Keep the pictures coming! ...Joe

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2012, 07:17:03 AM »
Thanks! I'd love to see all the pictures that you have! I'll have to look at mine and see, but I'm sure that the 2wd cab that I have is going to have to be modified somewhat since I have a 4-speed. Maybe I'll get lucky and it won't be as big of a deal to do as I originally thought. Seeing yours at least gives me some hope! The replacement cab I have is also a low hump. I have a 4 inch lift on my truck and shimming the cross member down would help mine with drive line angles, especially since it's the short wheelbase. Love the build! Keep the pictures coming! ...Joe

Some people use a body lift to fix this problem, though I personally do not like body lifts, it might be a easy inexpensive solution for you if that is what you want.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline ChaseDale3and8

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »

Some people use a body lift to fix this problem, though I personally do not like body lifts, it might be a easy inexpensive solution for you if that is what you want.

I don't like body lifts either and don't want to lift my truck any higher than it currently is. I'll do some cutting and welding if I need to. I just want to see just how much cutting and welding is going to be involved. Looks like this conversion fit up really nice. ...Joe