Author Topic: My brothers 77 C20 Custom Deluxe  (Read 7631 times)

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
My brothers 77 C20 Custom Deluxe
« on: July 26, 2011, 04:24:16 AM »
My brother picked up a 77 C20 Custom Deluxe for 900 dollars. I think it has a 350, but I can't see the casting numbers. Too much crap in the way. It has a brand new Edelbrock carb, a TH350 that needed a new kickdown cable and probably needs a fluid change and linkage adjustment. When you get on it, theres a loud squealing noise that we have yet to identify. At first I thought it was the fan hitting the shroud because of the motor mounts, but it still does it with them replaced. When we got it it needed power steering brackets and pump, we were told it didnt come factory on the truck? Needed air cleaner, motor mounts, needs doors, window regulators and glass(cranks are stripped out from ViceGrips), dash pad needs some work, needs gauge cluster, needs a seat(his is stationary, he wants one that the back folds down), needs radiator and probably needs the motor freshened up. so far we've figured out the power steering brackets, got a pump, I gave him my old stock air cleaner but he needs a spacer kit, and needs some random bit of work. Heres a list of what we have done so far, and what his plans are for it.

Done:
Power steering fixed
Air cleaner
Motor mounts
Fixed cluster lights, the printed circuit is screwed, we rigged it with a length of wire
Timed engine and adjusted Idle
Replaced kick down cable
Checked oil and no leaks(yet)
Checked coolant level periodically, it runs hot according to the gauge, but it pegs "H" in about 2 minutes of running
     and the radiator has a leak at the top where the crack is

Need to do:
Need a gauge cluster and going to install manual temp and oil pressure gauges
Need doors, the driver side inner door shell is bent up, passenger door is rusted, and both window regulators are screwed due to the
     cranks being stripped and the glass is no longer seated and the channels are rusted and loose, no door panels
Needs AC parts, not sure which ones yet
Needs a back window. It has been "fixed" with 2 sheets of 1/4 plexiglass and a stock slider
Engine probably needs refreshed/rebuilt
Needs radiator
Needs body work and paint
Needs radio
Hood and Hinges
Exhaust manifods/headers. I'm amazed it doesnt have a HORRIBLE leak.
more to come....

Plans for the future!:
He wants to slam and bag the truck
Shave all external accessories (door handles, locks, mirrors, gutters, trim, stake pockets, tailgate handle, probably side markers, etc.
Nicely built engine, not too powerful. Just wants a cruiser
Custom interior with buckets, fold down center console/seat, custom door panels, amp in the glove box, black leather, chrome
     and diamond plate will be the scheme
Tub the rear end with some fatty tires
more to come....

And now some Pics!!! The current paint is "Purple Pearl" and it has purple fleck over coat. It was owned by a Mexican man(no discrimination intended at all) before him and it needs a bit of lovin' now. My brothers thinking about keeping the paint color, but without the metallic fleck.

We had the hood propped up with the 4x6 before we put the old worn out hinges back on. We bought a pair from pick a part that aren't in much better condition.

Tired old engine with a shiny new Mouth on it!

Here's the messy interior, I like the dash pad. Its crappily covered with leather, but I like the idea and the way it looks.

The bed is in good shape. Thats a 16.5 original wheel, it now has 2 matching front chromes and 2 mismatched chrome rears.

Here is the RIDICULOUS back window. He said I can have the chrome band under the window since mine is scuffed up. I hear they
     go for a pretty penny!

And here are the 2 brackets we made work with the power steering pump. Ill show how tomorrow. One was cracked and repaired,

The driver side tank has a hole in the bottom and this is how they plugged it. I guess they didn't realize Gas eats Plastic
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
Re: My brothers 77 C20 Custom Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 05:04:39 PM »
I have a few more pictures to post

Finally got the air cleaner on

Here is how we got the Power steering brackets to work. It works surprisingly well.

I have no idea what these two components are....

Before we replaced the motor mounts the exhaust manifold was RESTING on the frame. Were lucky it didnt crack

Like how they ran the AC hoses?

One hose is cut, and theyre both just laying there

The battery is the wrong series, presidential rigged, and doesnt have a hold down.

They bought a 3 line fuel pump when they only needed a 2. So they capped the return line.

Bare wire

The dash bezel is in decent shape. None of the gauges except the Speedo worked.

Missing the AC controls and the dash is cut, but not the bezel

I like the dash pad. The glove box door is in the bed

Poor Door

This is the only scraped up part of the window band. He said I can have it for my truck

RIDICULOUS Fuel door that wont close and doesnt have a gas cap!

Poor truck. This paint is so crappily done.

The hood can levitate!

White front bumper, chrome rear!

Run in the paint

I have now installed Autometer oil, temp, and batt gauges in the bezel. Its running pretty good, and he just needs insurance and to register it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:23:49 PM by 1979C20 »

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »
The two parts on your inner fender are for cruise control. Should have one speedo cable going into it, and one going out, and then some electrical and vacuum lines.

Offline monkeyspunk79

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 02:25:47 PM »
Nice work bringing her back to life. It looks like a solid project and I wish you luck on it.

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 04:42:53 AM »
Okay, little update. When my brother brought the truck to my house it was running like crap. The PO told him the carb needed to be adjusted, so I figured it just needed fine tuning. We the retard had zero idea what he was doing, and it was obvious from the condition of the truck. He screwed the mixture screw all the way in, the the point they were TIGHT. the poor engine was starving for fuel. So, the brank new coil, carb, and plugs werent doing any good. I properly adjusted the carb and its like night and day. Before, it.had 2 missing cylinders and now its running all 8 healthily. Thats about all for now. He is working on registration and insurance for now, so hasnt bought any parts.

Offline Lacranora

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:52:39 PM »
I have a 73 Custom that I have fallen in love with over the last couple of weeks. I was getting jealous when I first saw the pics, but your interior is worse then mine. When you get down to fixing your dash let me know, I need to replace mine and don't really want to do the undertaking of that task alone.

Offline 80stepsideguy

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 06:05:18 PM »
1980 Chevy c10 restomod:  350/700r4 12 bolt 3.73 rearend iris blue metallic
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd
1970 cougar convertible: triple white 1 of 1
2014 Hyundai Tucson Limited(my daily driver)
2023 Kia Sportage X Pro (her daily driver).
2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited(her everyday driver).

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 06:27:14 PM »
The cluster is also out of a 4x4 as it has the indicator.