Author Topic: "Yona" 1983 K10 Heavy Half. -VA- Ultra low budget beater build.  (Read 38036 times)

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
White sticker is an AR15 sight reticle, red sticker is a Magpul sight reticle. Gun guy stuff to confuse the hippies.

;)

Sent using Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
Re: "Yona" 1983 K10 Heavy Half. -VA- Ultra low budget beater build.
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »
Got one door panel installed. Didn't have enough time to put the other one on because of other things happening. New door lock knob trim piece, new felt window scraper, and new window crank plastic estucheon or however you spell that. Just re-used the old arm rests for now. Not bad for a junkyard door panel.

Previous owner covered the original door panels and dash with speaker box carpet. Sad part is, you can peel the speaker box carpet back and see that he put that crap over a perfectly good door panel. SMFH...

My re-sprayed junkyard panel with a little new hardware.

Also I cleaned all the flat black spray paint off the window crank with an S.O.S. cleaning pad. The chrome under all the flat black spray paint was actually good! WTH is wrong with some people that they feel the need to spray every dang thing with flat black spray paint to make it look "cool" ???

Also got my Gadsden flag plates in the mail. No they aren't "Tea Party" flags, go Google "Gadsden Flag" and learn something new for the day.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:57:38 AM by kursed »

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 09:33:12 PM »
     License plates are cool, very cool.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »
Junkyard haul for today was $20.
-Tan visors that were in even better shape than the previous brown ones
-Another lock knob (I broke one of the other ones)
-Stock AM radio
-A pair of stainles vent visors
-CB mike holder
-Hat rack holder thing that mounts to the roof
-Stock shifter knob and transfer shift knob

Finished putting on the other door panel and installed some of the goodies from today. Pretty big difference in the cab already. Also pulled the dash pad off to recover it. Low and behold, the jack leg that originally owned the truck ripped all the foam off and put the stupid speaker box carpet straight over the metal frame of the dash pad. ARGH!

Interior Before

Interior After

The driver side door panel from today

Good before and after of the window cranks. Chrome don't get you home, but covering chrome with flat black means you smoke crack!

Some of the doodads I snagged at the yard.

Forgot to mention I met a guy at the yard that had 4 BFG all terrains in 32x11.50-15 (same size that's on the truck now) with around 1/4-1/2 tread for $100 so I snagged those up today too.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:34:52 PM by kursed »

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »
     Was the PO using that stupid speaker box carpet for insulation in your truck or what ?  Nice job of cleaning up the cab, it is looking better and better.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »
     Was the PO using that stupid speaker box carpet for insulation in your truck or what ?  Nice job of cleaning up the cab, it is looking better and better.

Not that I can tell. He covered fairly nice door panels. And there's no foam on the dash pad anymore. He just covered straight over the darn bare metal frame work of the dash pad with the crappy carpet.

Trying to make up my mind on the dash pad now. Should I cover with vinyl, find a new pad and recover that. Hard to make up my mind.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:51:02 PM by kursed »

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 09:41:33 AM »
     You got most of your stuff from the junk yard.  Go and pull a dash, take it home and repair it and dye it and put it in.  There are all kinds of video's on u-tube on home repair of cracked dashes and I have seen some turn out really nice.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
     You got most of your stuff from the junk yard.  Go and pull a dash, take it home and repair it and dye it and put it in.  There are all kinds of video's on u-tube on home repair of cracked dashes and I have seen some turn out really nice.

Oh yeah. I found one in the junkyard the other day that is in really decent shape and it's blue. Has one crack near the hump.

I do some upholstery work myself. Need to find a sewing machine for seats and stuff. I found some vinyl yesterday that is really nice and soft, but it's more of a light chocolate and I need a desert tan.

Going to hit the upholstery shop and see what he has soon.

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
Scored two low back bucket seats at a yard sale both for $10 yesterday. Now just need to find a jump seat to go between them so the kiddos can ride with me too.

Also off topic but I snagged up the 1921 torch for a couple dollars. Ignore the huge mess in my van. Wife is gone to KS for a few weeks and I've had the three kids by myself so it's been a little crazy around here.

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
Thanks. They came out nice for cheapie cheaps.

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
One step forward, two steps back kind of day.

Got the two best BFGs mounted, front bumper installed sort of. It's in place with two bolts. Apparently the was a tiny difference in the Suburban front frame horn. Oh well, it's better than the lumber bumper.

Got the carb dialed in. Turns out I wasn't getting voltage to the electric choke. Runs even better now of course. No high idle at stop lights.

Went to check the oil. SCREEECH to a halt. So the dipstick tube (aftermarket chrome one) is just jammed in between the head and driver side exhaust manifold. Where the manifold downtube passes in front of the dipstick tube entry hole there is only about 3mm clearance. So this is a big ole NO GO. Now im on the hunt for cheap headers, pipes, and mufflers. Only thing I can figure is the jerkwad OG owner the supposedly "built" the truck cobbled an incorrect exhaust manifold on it.

Also got to snooping the VIN# and turns out the Bear is a Canook. She was built in Canada Ey! And originally had a 305. I'm assuming that's what is still under the hood and the dipshit passed it off to my non-mechanically-inclined friend as a 350. Not really a big deal for a beater truck, just one more aggravation that this guy has caused. I tried to read the engine casting number this evening, but after half a can of brake clean, I  couldn't get a clean shot. Will take her down to the car wash and power wash it to see what we have.

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »
Here are a couple pics of the manifold and dipstick issue. I got some Summit full length headers, pipe, and 2.5" XLerator turbo mufflers. Have an appointment for next Thursday at a friend's shop to get it all put on. I had a wrist surgery a while back and the stupid thing is giving me fits. Anyway all the shops around my area refuse to do the exhaust without putting the catalytic converters back on so my friend is going to hook it up for me. Anyway, here are the dipstick pics. I never got around to checking the engine casting numbers yet.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 05:11:36 AM by kursed »

Offline Dan75k20

• Frequent Member
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »
I rn into the same issue with exhaust manifold dipstick tube problem at one time swapping here's the problem the 305 had a passenger side dipstick the 350 had a drivers side dipstick the manifolds were different for 350s when ever they moved the dipstick to the passenger side and your casting is a 350 casting number 

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
I rn into the same issue with exhaust manifold dipstick tube problem at one time swapping here's the problem the 305 had a passenger side dipstick the 350 had a drivers side dipstick the manifolds were different for 350s when ever they moved the dipstick to the passenger side and your casting is a 350 casting number

How could you tell mine is a 350?

I know I'm getting old and my eyes aren't what they used to be, but I couldn't even begin to make out a number there. LOL!

Offline Dan75k20

• Frequent Member
010 casting number is how I knew it was a 350

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk