Author Topic: "Yona" 1983 K10 Heavy Half. -VA- Ultra low budget beater build.  (Read 37746 times)

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: "Yona" 1983 K10 Heavy Half. -VA- Ultra low budget beater build.
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2014, 10:00:18 PM »
     Are you required to have catalytic converters on your truck by law where you live ?  If not, then why are the shops not willing to do the work ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
010 casting number is how I knew it was a 350

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Aha. Didn't realize they all were 350s. Thanks.

Sent using Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
     Are you required to have catalytic converters on your truck by law where you live ?  If not, then why are the shops not willing to do the work ?

Yep. Anything that came factory with them has to retain them. EXCEPT when you have a friend that does exhaust work. So she should be good to go next Thursday.

;)

Offline Dan75k20

• Frequent Member
Its a good casting can be 2 or 4 bolt high nickel blocks

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
Its a good casting can be 2 or 4 bolt high nickel blocks

Roget that! Thanks for the input.

Seems to be quite weak for a 350. Hopefully the new exhaust will free up a few horses. Could be that im just more use to C10s and not quite familiar with K10s being this is my first one.

Offline Dan75k20

• Frequent Member
 I like your buget build mine was a basket case when i bought it i tried to hit the pic a part and they were closed at noon cause of the holiday anyway Some of the k10s had 308 342 373 gears I swapped the 350 from my 81 into my 84 the 81 was a k 20 with 4:10gears and the 84 was a k10 the engine seemed to perform a little better in the 81 the 84 had 373s both with the 400 transmissions you can wake up your 350 with duals you are doing already is a great start intake cam and carb combination can also make a huge difference I run an edelbrock 1405 performer rpm intake  comp 12-235-2 cam 882 heads flat tops headers 3in exhaust with flowmasters  ( overkill on the exhaust was on the truck when I bought it ) built monster th 350 np205 14 bolt ff 4:10 gears and it is awesome 75 k20

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
I'll hopefully get to the checking and flushing fluids part soon. Plan on pulling the covers and seeing what kind of gears I'm working with. Would be nice to do the 1 ton CUCV axels eventually, but that's a LONG way down the road. Need to finish my 72 Chevelle first.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
I'll hopefully get to the checking and flushing fluids part soon. Plan on pulling the covers and seeing what kind of gears I'm working with. Would be nice to do the 1 ton CUCV axels eventually, but that's a LONG way down the road. Need to finish my 72 Chevelle first.

Chevelles are nice cars.  I had a 71 in high school, good times in that car.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2014, 11:07:28 AM »
Apparently the was a tiny difference in the Suburban front frame horn.

There is no difference in a Suburban vs anything else as far as bumpers go.  The other one my have tweaked yours some, or the donor was tweaked.  regardless, it is the same bumper.

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
Apparently the was a tiny difference in the Suburban front frame horn.

There is no difference in a Suburban vs anything else as far as bumpers go.  The other one my have tweaked yours some, or the donor was tweaked.  regardless, it is the same bumper.

Cool, thanks. I had no idea really. Wonder if it's the frame mounts or my bumper? Only one way to find out I guess, to try other parts out. Problem is I think imq more interested in a homebuilt winch bumper or something similar.

Offline lilkiduno

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2014, 11:11:55 PM »
Nice Truck, and progress. I am currently working at fixing all the issues on mine as well. Your doing way better then I am though... haha

White sticker is an AR15 sight reticle, red sticker is a Magpul sight reticle. Gun guy stuff to confuse the hippies.

Also, The magpul sticker isn't a sight at all. It's actually the mag pull system that began the company, hints the name. here is the pic

None the less both sticker work pretty well, I don't understand the point when people "sticker bomb" the glass a few stickers works although I personally prefer clean glass.

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
Nice Truck, and progress. I am currently working at fixing all the issues on mine as well. Your doing way better then I am though... haha

White sticker is an AR15 sight reticle, red sticker is a Magpul sight reticle. Gun guy stuff to confuse the hippies.

Also, The magpul sticker isn't a sight at all. It's actually the mag pull system that began the company, hints the name. here is the pic

None the less both sticker work pretty well, I don't understand the point when people "sticker bomb" the glass a few stickers works although I personally prefer clean glass.

I always though the logo had something to do with their MBUS sights. Haha. Funny thing about Magpul for me is I've been using their products since my first tour to Iraq in 2005, but I've never really cared for their actual mag pull devices. I always used 550 chord instead and the mag pulls seemed like a cheap gimmick to me that didn't really improve much versus the 550 chord. They didn't have much to chose from back in 2005, but their non tilt mag followers were a HUGE improvement over the G.I. mag followers so I used them in all my mags.

Nowdays I reall like all their gear, but still don't really care for the actual mag pulls. I've got the 870 stock and forend on my Remington and several other parts for an AR build. I guess because I always felt the mag pulls were a bit of a hokey gimmick I never paid much attention to them and didn't associate to obvious with their logo. LOL

As far as stickers and windows, I usually don't like them either, but every now and then I like to put one or two in a back glass just to aggravate the gun hating, Prius driving, uber hippies at stop lights and in traffic. Got this one by Crye Precisson on the back of the XJ.

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
No pictures tonight. By the time I got everything home it was too dark.

So my friend installed the headers then ran the pipe and mufflers at his shop. The stock style long spark plugs and stock style wires won't work. On the way home I melted on plug boot and picked up a miss.

So I stopped by O'Reilly auto parts and picked up a set of Accel short header plugs, some Accel wires, two heat sleeves for the plug boots, and some heat risitant tape. Replaced the melted plug wire and noticed another bundle of wires running from under my alternator to back where the starter is had melted to the passenger header. So I taped those up with the heat tape too.

Limped it home and will take a better look at things as soon as I get time. I'll try to take pics of all my mess too haha.

She seems to have a tiny bit more power, but nothing drastic. The sound from the turbo mufflers is a little quieter than I expected, but nice that it's not to raspy.

It's getting there. One step at a time.

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
Ok, here are some pics of the mess I need to sort out next.

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
Not much accomplished on the truck today, but I did do this....