Author Topic: J.J.,Max, and Rico...  (Read 7448 times)

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
J.J.,Max, and Rico...
« on: January 26, 2020, 07:43:41 PM »
I'm J.J., and these are Max and Rico (my two '86 K30s)…  :)

I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline fitz

Re: J.J.,Max, and Rico...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 07:49:44 PM »
Nice. What do you haul with them?

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 07:50:19 PM »
I was about nine years old the first time I laid eyes on a regular cab K30 dually.  My Family and I were headed to South Padre Island when my vision caught the truck at about 11 o'clock, out the front windshield.  I watched that truck until it was a mere speck out the back window.  I was instantly enamored.  I can tell you the name of my first girlfriend, but can't (for the life of me) remember what she looked like.  That K30, on the other hand, I can remember like it was yesterday. (*I'm 49 now)

It was that day that I told myself, "One of these days, you'll have one of those trucks".
I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »
Nice. What do you haul with them?

Thanks, fitz.

I try to play by the rules when it comes to GCWR.  So, because Rico is a 3.73 truck, I'm limited to 14K.  Because of that, I usually use him for tree-trimming duties at my Mom's house.  After a couple of days of trimming, I'm only at about 11500 pounds. (*I have plans to make him a 4.10 truck, when I have the $$$)

Max is a 4.10 truck.  So, he hauls my Massey 2605 when I'm feeling a little daring.  ;D

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 08:18:36 PM »
Welcome!

Nice rides man, and thanks for the back story.

I just picked up a '88 C30 3+3, and only wish she was a K. Clean as a whistle.

What's the story with your handle?
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 09:16:31 PM »
Welcome!

Nice rides man, and thanks for the back story.

I just picked up a '88 C30 3+3, and only wish she was a K. Clean as a whistle.

What's the story with your handle?

Thanks, Johnny.

Wow, that's a question.  I'll try to keep it short...

I've been on a very large motorcycle forum for many years. (*I don't doubt that a few of the Members are also Members here)  A few years back, a lot of the old-school Members broke-off and formed their own forum.  It was an "invite only" deal.  And, I was quite surprised to get an invite, as I was relatively new to the larger forum.

Anyhoo, when I joined the smaller forum, I used a User Name I had used for many things.  However, after a few months, one of the Site Owners changed it to "JAH".  When I asked him what it meant, he said, "Well, you're Just Another Hooligan". 

I think I registered here a year or two after he did that...hence my "handle".  I didn't create it, it was given to me.  :-\

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 08:32:30 AM »
Fine-looking heavies!  8)
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 09:22:34 AM »

[/quote]
I try to play by the rules when it comes to GCWR.   

Max is a 4.10 truck.  So, he hauls my Massey 2605 when I'm feeling a little daring.  ;D
[/quote]

I think when it gets to the heavier GCWR I wouldn't worry about it too much.  You have the strong frame and stopping power as your 4.10 truck and if the engine will get the load moving you should have no problem with the rest.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 12:47:20 PM »
welcome from maryland, love the trucks and love the story about your handle.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 10:39:53 PM »
Thanks for the kind words and welcomes.

I'm currently acquainting myself with this Site, and hope to be posting a pic, here-or-there (in this thread), whenever I can.

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 12:22:07 AM »
A few weeks back, I was headed-out (in Rico) to pick-up some burgers for our household.  About a three miles from our house, the stick on the SM465 got stuck.  I tried everything to free it.  But, it was STUCK.  I was at a red light when this happened.  So, I let the clutch out to see if it would move, which it did.  When the light turned green, I found that the tranny was stuck in granny.  Lovely.

I limped the truck home in granny, at about 3-4 MPH.  :-\

I'm not very mechanically inclined, but thought about popping the top, to see if I could find anything wrong.  Judgement and common sense eventually got the better of me, and I decided to take it to a Buddy.  The tranny had a bit of (what I thought might be) bearing noise, since I got it.  So, I opted to have my Buddy look at it. (*Luckily, since it was stuck in granny, I was able to get it onto the gooseneck)

The tranny was dropped and, even though it didn't necessarily need it, completely gone through.  Now, I've got a newly rebuilt and sealed tranny, a new HD clutch, and some other new goodies.  I think it'll be good for another 100K.  :)

I'll try to get some more pics of Rico, once I've had a chance to put the wood to him a little.  But, for now, here he is up on the gooseneck...

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:28:20 AM by JAH »

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 05:00:04 PM »
Big Rico is back in the garage at my Mom's place (rebuilt transmission, new HD clutch, etc), and I am INSANELY happy to have him back.

While he was gone, I felt like I was separated from one of my children.  :'(

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 07:48:15 PM »
Ok I know you told us about your handle. But how did you come up with those names for the trucks?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 09:29:27 PM »
Ok I know you told us about your handle. But how did you come up with those names for the trucks?

Being 4X4 duallies that were over 30 years old, you can imagine what kinda' things were wrong with 'em when I got 'em.  Both needed a lot of TLC...in a lotta' departments.

Max was so rough when I got him (mechanically and aesthetically) that the hotshot guy (who'd picked-up stuff for me in the past) didn't even say, "Hello", when he arrived at the Farm.  The first words out of his mouth were, "Did you really buy this thing?"  You see, Max looked like the previous Owner had handed a four-year-old a hammer and told him, "Make sure you dent every panel."

There was a character in Beverly Hills Cop 2 named, "Maxwell Dent".  And, that's how he got the name "Maxwell", or "Max" for short.

Rico's previous Owner had put a fresh paint job on him just before I got him.  Despite the fact that he (Rico) needed at least as much mechanical TLC as Max, he was very smooth and suave.  So, I named him, "Rico Suave".
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:31:22 PM by JAH »

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 10:52:55 PM »
Rico got "dinner" duty, tonight...