Author Topic: Vent window woes  (Read 2254 times)

Offline 1980K20

• Frequent Member
Vent window woes
« on: January 29, 2022, 03:44:34 PM »
1980 K20
Finally time to put the window in the driver's side door. Aftermarket doors are a pain. Looking for suggestions, advice.

1)  tapered screw holes are monstrous, much larger than the screw with cones I got part of the rebuild kit. Pic with a washer added to hold it. Suggestions on screws you've used?

2) doors don't have holes drilled for the center screw at the hinge location. Pic of inside enclosed.

3) knob was difficult to use on the bench. With lack of the screw, it does not work at all. The window won't close, misaligned, I have to push it from outside to get it close.  Going when I get the other screw in it will help. Maybe a different brand knob would help?

Thanks,
Mark
--------------------------------------
1952 International L112 - waiting for EV conversion
1967 Camaro - 250 six cyl, 200-4R
1980 K20 4x4 Fleetside - 350 SBC roller Cam, TH350

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Vent window woes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 05:47:42 PM »
Hard to tell what's going on in your pics but the one screw and cone washer isn't shown in your pics. The top screw is different. Are the vents factory, aftermarket? Looks like you don't even have the frame pushed all the way into the door.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 1980K20

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 09:00:41 PM »
Here's a better picture. The crew just pops right through. Good chance I didn't get the window fully seated yet, especially without the one screw.

I've already taken the vent window out. The vents are original, I rebuilt them myself. I found a lot of play in the hinge rivet that's mucking it up some that I need to somehow fix.

The place where I ordered the knives had two versions. I tossed a dice and chose one. I wouldn't think they would be different, but hey maybe so.

Came across another question. The bracket at the back of the door have a captive nut. But there's a square hole on the door. I assume I just put a washer on it and be done, but it's there something special about it?

Thanks,
Mark

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline 1980K20

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 08:05:11 PM »
Ok, driver door window is complete. In the end, the vent window is something to never open. Even the latch is not working correctly. Sigh.

Doh! I put the inside weather strip on the metal door, not in the interior panel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 10:20:49 PM by 1980K20 »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 04:42:14 PM »
Not using the vent windows is what makes them decay. Use it or lose it
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 08:40:03 PM »

Came across another question. The bracket at the back of the door have a captive nut. But there's a square hole on the door. I assume I just put a washer on it and be done, but it's there something special about it?

There is a small square Yellowish or white nylon nut plate similar to the license plate nylon nut that snaps into the square hole of the bumper to screw into. Local auto parts store carry them. The cone screw threads into the vent window frame, not the door. Have to get it pushed in all the way to get the cone screw in. You may need to leave the other bolts/screws a little loose until you get them all lined up and get the cone screw in.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline 1980K20

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 08:27:11 AM »

There is a small square Yellowish or white nylon nut plate similar to the license plate nylon nut that snaps into the square hole of the bumper to screw into. Local auto parts store carry them. The cone screw threads into the vent window frame, not the door. Have to get it pushed in all the way to get the cone screw in. You may need to leave the other bolts/screws a little loose until you get them all lined up and get the cone screw in.
Thanks Mike.  I got the windows in, and the square versions of the plastic versus rectangular. The machining on the aftermarket doors is the issue, I had to file that down.  The passenger works much better than the drivers side, may need to take drivers apart this summer.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk