Author Topic: 73-87chevytrucks.com Pickup  (Read 162905 times)

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
73-87chevytrucks.com Pickup
« on: March 23, 2006, 01:29:00 PM »
I am putting together a truck to show off the products we sell and here is the progress of it so far.  I have HOPES that it will be drivable by May for the Maggie Valley 73-87 GMC/Chevy Truck show...

These are from the weekend on the March 6th, 2006 where I played swap the cabs:

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Edited by: roundedline at: 9/27/06 4:36 pm

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: 73-87chevytrucks.com Pickup
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 01:30:00 PM »
Weekend of March 13th, 2006:

Directions for the project changed and the cabs were reversed.  Now my nice shiney black frame that was once home to a Hilborn injected (in progress) 454/ Doug Nash 5 speed is now bare and awaiting the motor mounts for the 6.0L.  The motor mounts were ordered on the 11th.

Here is where I am starting now (old pic):

My '73 project has swapped frames and direction some. Since I want to stay with the '73 front end, the 81-87 tilt was donated to the 6.0L truck. The frame I had was also donated since the horns were cut to fit the '81-87 frontend, and I wouldn't have to mock the '90's blazer tank back in and rebuild the suspension.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 01:31:00 PM »
Tuesday evening:  Gatherered all the parts and pertinant pieces necessary for mocking the motor/trans and the tilt front end on the truck and put them on a trailer and headed for my brothers shop.  Dropped them off last night around 12 midnight.

Here are the pics of the arrival to his shop (camera phone, so..):

Of course after I got there we had to complile a list of stuff that I did forget that needs to be delivered for the next trip so we can actually get something done.  

Anyone have a wiring schematic for a 2003 6.0L engine compartment?

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Edited by: roundedline at: 9/27/06 4:36 pm

Offline RSBAD454

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »
I hope to have mine running again by summer....Can't wait to see your progress.

Toys are my game

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.”
http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/
http://

Offline Leadfoot

hey Chris
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 07:58:00 AM »
I gotta question for you.. I seen your tech article about the blazer tank and decided that was a cool idea,then I got a susburban parts truck,so I robbed the tank out of it while I had it,but one thing I'm not sure about,have you figured out how to connect it to a filler neck?  I don't really want to try to relocate a filler door to behind the rear wheels..I'm thinking about going thru the bed floor with a custom piece using the cap from a fuel cell..got any better ideas??

thanks,
Tim

BTW,good to see some progress on your ride,lookin good!!

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: hey Chris
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 10:55:00 AM »
Tim,
The blazer tank idea was figured out for a stepside and this is a fleet.  I plan to extend the filler neck out enough to put it either in the corner of the bed or....

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

ccb

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 01:13:00 PM »
Cool, About time you show us how it done :)  Hey I'm not sure what your doing with this truck. I thing you said you were planing on doing it one way now you going in a diffrent direction?
Is the cab done or does it still need to be primed?
Is that a fiberglass tilt front end?
Mabe I need to reread the pic. I think I'm lost or have I just got C.R.S.

Craig

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 08:59:00 PM »
Lookin' good.Keep the pics coming.You guys use litres for engines down there too? I thought it was just a dumb Canadian issue like using all metric bolts now. So how many cubes does that translate to?

Pugsy

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 09:27:00 AM »
123 Pugsy I found a website for conversions.
web.tampabay.rr.com/1bkin...conv_litre
Looks like 6.0 litres is @366 cu.in.

Edited by: DnStClr at: 3/25/06 9:34 am
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »
Quote:
I thing you said you were planing on doing it one way now you going in a diffrent direction?
Is the cab done or does it still need to be primed?
Is that a fiberglass tilt front end?

Yes, I was going to use the older frame/newer cab and now I am using the newer frame and newer cab.

The cab has only been painted on the bottom.  It will still need to be painted on the inside and on the outside.  It will have a tan interior and red exterior.

Yes, the frontend is a US Body Tilt frontend.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 04:25:00 PM »
Progress up to March 20th, 2006:

Got the ECE engine mounts in on Tuesday.  
Friday 17th: Gathered up items to take to the shop.  Picked up a Pinout sheet for the PCM (only to find out it was the wrong one on Sunday)

Saturday 18th: and took a load of missed items up to the shop and started putting the steering together.  Put the front brake lines on.  Cinched up the stainless caliper lines and found a single stud crossmember that will work with the trans mount and the turbo app.

Pulled the exhaust pipes off the manifolds,  removed the compressor, removed the EGR, Torque converter, starter and put the ECE engine mounts on.

Wasn't sure if the manifolds would fit or not, so we lowered  it in place to test it out...

As you can see, they don't work.  Found out I needed 00-02 F-body manifolds.  So we pulled the manifolds off and dropped it into the mounts and it fits rather nicely.

Once we had the engine dropped in, we had some help come by and we removed the cab from the frame and positioned the trans in for mockup so we have an idea on what we are going to do for fuel lines.

Then we pulled the bed back off so we could re-mount the Blazer tank back in the frame and get everything laid out for routing of the fuel lines and so we can notch the cross sill to clear the top of the blazer tank.  We also are laying out the routing of the fuel fill.

Sunday 19th: Since nothing was open, I picked up a transmount and fuel filter.  Got the transmount cleaned up and mounted it up to the trans and drilled the holes in their new location.  Pulled the fuel lines off and removed 90% of  the harness from the Engine.  Once it was off we started pulling the harness apart to trace all the wires (several were cut and missing the ends) Once we got everything laid out I realized that they gave me the 2WD version instead of the 4x4 version.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Edited by: roundedline at: 9/27/06 4:37 pm

Offline RSBAD454

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 09:57:00 PM »
lookin good......I remember when I had my cab off as well. Should be sweet with that newer motor in there.8)  

Toys are my game

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.”
http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/
http://

ccb

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 09:57:00 PM »
Its looking good. so keep the pics coming.

Craig  

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »
Friday March 31st: I went and picked up the Tranny for a rebuilt and I took some measurements and notes on the fuel lines that I have to run and sent them to Pure Choice for some feedback.

Saturday April 1st: I started on the ECM harness and wrote out where all the wires go on the harness

Sunday April 2nd: I started back up on the real harness trying to find out where all the wires that were cut actuall go (it is real fun)

Monday April 2nd: dropped the tranny off to be rebuilt (hope to get it back on Friday)

Tuesday April 3rd: Got all the wiring figured out except 3, just need to trace them down.  Then I need to find the missing connectors and I should be done.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Edited by: roundedline at: 9/27/06 4:37 pm

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »
Friday April 7th: Picked up the rebuilt 4L80E from the trans shop.  Fuel lines and fittings arrived from Pure Choice Plumbing.  Found that one of the fittings were the incorrect size

Saturday April 8th:  Late start, Dropped the tranny off and started working on the wiring... AGAIN!  The schematics I have apparently don't match the PCM, so I am now having to trace ALL of the wires.  While Jamie and I are doing that, my brother is routing the fuel lines/fitting and bending up a EVAP line.

Sunday April 9th: put the tranny in to check clearance for the front fuel lines.  Now I need the F-body manifolds to verify they will work, so I am stuck here.  Still working on the PCM wiring, got all the harness wires figured out and I am now working on the rest of the lines that I have to find.  The missing connectors are KILLING me.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Edited by: roundedline at: 9/27/06 4:38 pm