Author Topic: 84 GMC Sierra Project  (Read 10752 times)

Offline Lon

84 GMC Sierra Project
« on: July 25, 2007, 08:41:57 PM »
I'm starting a bit late on keeping track of progress on my GMC. I bought the truck 5 years ago and lowered it 5.5" front and 5" rear. Eventually the first 350 developed a knock. So I replaced it with another 350. I soon decided I had to have airride. So when Air Ride tech came out with their Strong Arms, I bought the entire front Air Ride kit for 73-87 Chevys and 4 Bar for the back. Now I'm redoing the rear suspension and putting in the third small block. I will admit right now I killed the second 350. It had valve noise and I decided it was time to learn to adjust valves. Well I killed the cam and learned a lot. If the second engine's problems had been just a wasted cam, I would have kept it. But it leaked like a screen door on a submarine. And I had bought a new 350 crate motor for my F-100 project truck. So the new crate motor has a new home. At about the same time my valves got loud the airride compressor sucked in some dirt and it self destructed, 4 months after the 1 year warranty expired.

These pics are from today. I took a vacation this week to get shop cleaned and get the engine in the GMC. Tomorrow I hope to get the engine in the truck, and get everything hooked up. I still need a compressor for my suspension, and I'm considering an engine driven compressor.
1984 GMC Sierra. Air Bagged but mostly stock.

Offline Lon

Re: 84 GMC Sierra Project
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 08:56:14 PM »
I spent most of the afternoon in the engine bay with a scrub brush and a water hose. I used degreaser and spary can engine cleaner in the driveway. After I pushed the truck back into the shop I got some rags and Simple Green and finished the cleaning. It isn't spotless but a lot cleaner than the mess I started with. My wife was overjoyed when I asked her to help me push the truck from the shop to our driveway and back up the ramps into the shop.
1984 GMC Sierra. Air Bagged but mostly stock.

Offline cjtimp

• Registered Users
Re: 84 GMC Sierra Project
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 06:55:19 AM »
Awesome pics.....the chronicles of Lon's GMC.......Good job.
82 C-10 SWB - work in progress!