Author Topic: Radiator core support bushings  (Read 1489 times)

Offline 502Silverado

Radiator core support bushings
« on: November 24, 2018, 11:42:09 AM »
I have an 87 2wd short bed. In a previous post I mentioned replacing the core support. I’m attempting to install it now and have discovered that the new bushings cause the core support to sit higher than the fenders. Specifically the holes on either end of the core support that are supposed to match up with the fenders no longer line up.  I figured this would happen as it makes sense that the new bushings would not be worn out like the old ones. My question is should I now replace the cab bushings so that everything sits flush or is it possible to really crank down the core support bolts (that attach it to the frame) so it squeezes the bushings down to allow the holes to align?  Any help is appreciated.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: Radiator core support bushings
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 07:02:23 AM »
When I replaced the cab bushings on my '75 I realized that the old ones had collapsed so far that the cab was sitting on top of the transfer case.  Really reduced the cab noise when I got rid of that metal-on-metal contact with the cab floor.  It also pulled my shift linkage into place so that I could start the truck in both neutral or drive, which had never worked before.  IIRC, the radiator support bushings were part of the complete cab bushing set.

I replaced the cab bushings with the truck parked in the driveway, and used a short section of 2x4 to push up and hold the cab while I removed and replaced each bushing.  I was luck and could break each bolt loose with a fairly short breaker bar.  I used poly bushings and lubricated them, but they still squeaked on and off for a while.  They finally settled into place and got quieter.

Bruce

Offline 502Silverado

Re: Radiator core support bushings
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 09:06:21 AM »
Good info!  I’m fortunate not to have any rust issues (other than corrosion from a leaky battery) and sprayed my bolts down with PB Blaster for about 4 days. Got them broke loose with a breaker bar. Hopefully I’ll get lucky and be able to get everything switched out and lined up today.