Author Topic: Electric fan install -- pics  (Read 17961 times)

Offline Dirka

Re: Electric fan install -- pics
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 10:30:26 PM »
I love this idea!
But i'm unsure if I can get the fan in the same spot with the AC unit in front of the radiator, not sure I'd have room for the fan in front of both behind the grille?
So my other question is putting the fan on the "mechanical" fan side, I know it doesn't clear up the area like what you did, but as far as the rest of the install you talked about, with the aluminum pieces, would be about the same? And would I still want to use the shroud to help cool?
I'm going to be running a serpentine system and  because I'm a slight idiot (mostly because I know less than what I think I do) this system does not support a mechanical fan, though I already bought the fan and spacer  :o
I will post a picture of the engine with the setup (without the fan on it) and don't laugh too hard, but could I still run the mechanical fan on this setup off that water pump pulley??

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 10:46:01 PM »
How much clearance do you need for the AC unit?  I can go measure and see if there's enough room to space the fan out.
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline Dirka

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 11:45:45 AM »
It looks like I have about 1-5/8" maybe a little more between where the ac unit and that front brace is.
And I do I need to change to an electric fan, it just looks bad the other way I was thinking, and I would need to get longer bolts, and I just don't think that it would be very safe!

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »
Not enough room for a fan in front then.
Rich

Offline Dirka

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 04:53:14 PM »
I suppose that's ok, I kind of like the way the shroud looks in there =)
Do you recommend any good 17" single electric fans over the others?

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 06:24:09 PM »
The only one I have any experience with is the Flexalite 16", which fills the radiator area top to bottom.

It moves a LOT of air.
Rich

Offline 69byrd

• Haulin!
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »
I have an ac truck that I added a couple pusher electric fans too. I had to trim them a little to get them to fit but they work great. May not be what your looking for but heres my setup.

84 C-10 Stepside       
54 Chevy Truck
Gotta Love Those Stepsides!
http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/69byrd/?start=all

Offline Dirka

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »
that is a good setup, I might as well get a new radiator now too. Prolly for the best considering the upgrades on the engine.  What brand is that? And that clears the brace behind grille with AC?!
Is that setup preferred or how the electric fans need to be installed? towards the front of the vehicle? It appears the ones that I'm looking at are on the engine side...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:16:04 PM by Dirka »

Offline Dirka

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 07:50:56 PM »
I'm thinking maybe this will be a good setup..??
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-cu-70008

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 09:22:21 PM »
The best setup will always be shrouded pullers on the engine side.  That said, the 350s run cool anyway, so it isn't a problem unless you are towing in the mountains or plowing or something like that.  A pusher in the front works fine for normal-duty applications

The twin fan setup has the advantage of being thin in the middle where the brace is, so I think that's the way to go for you.  The single fan setup has the thickest part in the middle, the motor, and there just isn't clearance behind that brace for that and the AC cooler.
Rich

Offline 69byrd

• Haulin!
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
I have two fans on the inside of the radiator with a shroud pulling air in. They are hooked up on an adjustable switch that triggers them to come on at whatever temp you set it on. I added the two on the outside for when I go to these rod runs where I sit in stop and g traffic for three to four hours at a time. Most of the time I never use the two in the front. I am unsure of what brand they are. They were some fans that I had lying around. They clear all of the braces on the front.

84 C-10 Stepside       
54 Chevy Truck
Gotta Love Those Stepsides!
http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/69byrd/?start=all

Offline cvbear

• Registered Users
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »
I'm thinking maybe this will be a good setup..??
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-cu-70008

that is almost exactly what we have, ours is a Griffin CU-70013.  Great product, very well made.  Note that there is a difference in Griffin's product lines between "direct fit" and "exact fit".  That was not apparent to me at first.  Difference is that on "direct fit" your stock mounts may not work.  fabricating mounts was no a big deal, but it was another step. 
1984 SWB Silverado fleetside, 350 crate engine, 350 trans

Offline Dirka

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 08:48:45 PM »
Great talks! I ended up going with a DeWitt's dual fan/radiator combo kit. I'm sure I'll have to do some adjusting, but at this point there isn't much left not to adjust for!
Thanks for all the input!