Author Topic: Drip Rails  (Read 15566 times)

Offline Tx_Phil

• Registered Users
Re: Drip Rails
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 02:23:49 PM »
On my 87 suburban the PO removed all of the drip rails but left the holes where they were bolted on.  Anyone have any thoughts on looks vs. functionality?  Since I do not have the drip rails to put back on I'm leaning toward simply filling the holes and moving on but if this would cause the truck to leak (water running in around the door) then I will try to find some replacements and paint them to match.

Offline Edahall

• Frequent Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »
On my 87 suburban the PO removed all of the drip rails but left the holes where they were bolted on.  Anyone have any thoughts on looks vs. functionality?  Since I do not have the drip rails to put back on I'm leaning toward simply filling the holes and moving on but if this would cause the truck to leak (water running in around the door) then I will try to find some replacements and paint them to match.

When I removed my drip rails for painting, the rear tail gate leaked very badly until I re-installed the drip rail. 
1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
-Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
-6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
-Gear Vendors Overdrive
-Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears
-2" Lift

Offline Tx_Phil

• Registered Users
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 03:45:25 PM »

When I removed my drip rails for painting, the rear tail gate leaked very badly until I re-installed the drip rail. 

Does your suburban have a tailgate or barn doors?  Mine has a tailgate but I don't remember seeing holes for a drip rail in the back.  I will have to check that closer.  I know the doors are leaking but I'm not sure if its the holes from the drip rails or if its the fact that the PO also removed all or the door weather stripping.

I'm pretty sure the PO was planning a full repaint and maybe even a small level restore. All trim, badging, door panels, headliner floor covering have been removed.  The good news, no rust anywhere inside the cab. The bad news, I only have the seats and door panels to re-install.  Oh well, I did buy it to be a hunting \ ranch truck. I don't guess I need it to be show truck quality!

Offline Edahall

• Frequent Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 05:25:54 PM »

Does your suburban have a tailgate or barn doors?  Mine has a tailgate but I don't remember seeing holes for a drip rail in the back.  I will have to check that closer.  I know the doors are leaking but I'm not sure if its the holes from the drip rails or if its the fact that the PO also removed all or the door weather stripping.

I'm pretty sure the PO was planning a full repaint and maybe even a small level restore. All trim, badging, door panels, headliner floor covering have been removed.  The good news, no rust anywhere inside the cab. The bad news, I only have the seats and door panels to re-install.  Oh well, I did buy it to be a hunting \ ranch truck. I don't guess I need it to be show truck quality!

Mine has the tailgate.

I did not experience water getting into the vehicle from not having the drip rails on the doors but did get lots of water through the tail gate.
1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
-Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
-6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
-Gear Vendors Overdrive
-Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears
-2" Lift

Offline Tx_Phil

• Registered Users
Drip Rails
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 08:47:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Now adding drip rails to my parts search.
- drip rails
- weather stripping
- new front seats
- headliner
Shoot, I bet just that stuff will cost more than I paid for the truck. Oh well, at least it's fun to mess with this stuff.