Author Topic: Melted wire :S  (Read 7506 times)

Offline GUITAR1989

• Registered Users
    • What I've done to my truck so far :)
Re: Melted wire :S
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 08:59:36 PM »
so i traced the wire and found out that the charred blackish melted pos was 18brown-9 at one point :P also where the blue wire is suppose to be on the switch pig tail there isnt one. whats weird about the wire is its only melted up to the firewall..the point past the wall is perfectly intact. im thinking i can just get a new pig tail and rewire it with the blue wire. my switch still works fine+im hurting for cash so i took it apart and cleaned it up so i can keep using it. if the wires melt again then ill replace it but for now i just dont have the cash. i ordered the relay kit for the lights so ill be putting that in also.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 11:14:21 PM »
  did you check to see if the melted wire got cut at the firewall and shorted out ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline GUITAR1989

• Registered Users
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 01:13:55 AM »
No not yet its covered up in a ton of this rubber gunk right where it passes throgh the fire wall. Tomarrow im going to get it cleaned up and check it out. since its pretty cheap im getting a new headlight switch/plug and the Heavy duty Headlight relay kit from   ;D http://www. .com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=70 After that its on to finding out why my gas gauge doesnt work...im sensing another wirng problem in my future. The guy i bought the truck from really loved electrical tape and faulty connectins. Someday ill get to put my new gauges in ::)

Oh yeah also i found out that the blue wire that was missing from the plug was suppose to connect the light switch to the dimmer switch...do you guys think thats why my brown wire melted? What are the repercussions of that blue wire not being wired to the dimmer switch?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:40:08 AM by GUITAR1989 »

Offline GUITAR1989

• Registered Users
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 05:17:04 PM »
hey guys :) i finally got the switch and pigtail to fix my melted wire problem. I traced the meted wire down to the firewall junction blockl. im having some trouble gettin the wires out of the block. heres a picture of the wires in question. so if anybody knows how to get these suckers out id really appreciate your input. can this block be pulled apart so i can see whts going on inside of there. im thinking the problem may be hidden inside that block since the melted wire 18 BRN 9 stops inside there and the wires coming out of the other side connected to it are perfectly intact. also is there anything in there aside from the 2 wires connecting..like a fuse or anything else connecting them that may hav failed and caused 18 BRN 9 melt?

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 02:44:45 PM »
I'd like to know as well :)  That brown wire is your park lamps. I believe it splits at the firewall to where it goes to the front lamps, and the rear lamps. The wire that is melted is I believe carrying the currrent for both the front and the rear sets of lights. Do you have anything funky going on with your park that might cause a large current draw?
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.