Author Topic: Long Tube headers VS. Shorty Headers  (Read 13645 times)

Offline Maintenanceman

• Registered Users
  • Older is always better
Long Tube headers VS. Shorty Headers
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:14:10 PM »
I searched the forum and couldnt really find the answer I was looking for. Im sure this topic has been discussed before but I couldnt find anything on it so here goes....

On my last truck (2003 Silverado SS), I wanted to put headers on it. I was a member on a forum like this one and everyone on that forum said that shortys were a waste of time and to not even try them. Longtubes Flow alot better and would free up more HP and all the shortys were good for was to acheive the sound. Any truth to that? Now, my question is, even though anything is going to flow better than the stock manifolds, which is better? or is it a personal preference? What are the pros and cons to both? The main reason Im concerened is I dont wont to buy a set of headers and then not fit because there hitting the front drive shaft on my 85 k20. Ive noticed alot of guys around here like the chevelle headers. Whats the difference? Are they shorter than traditional longtubes?

TIA
Ben
1985 Silverado K20- 355 SBC Vortec heads and a lil' cam...

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Long Tube headers VS. Shorty Headers
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 02:25:51 AM »
well the only thing i know about headers is the shorty's you can use your stock exhaust pipes as for when you get the long people usually redo the whole piping due to the stock for one not sitting and increase the dia of the pipe also adds performance wise along with a deeper sound, now with the shorty's in a stock setup you probably wouldn't gain as much as for the shorty's with an after market setup but then why get shorty's with an aftermarket setup when you can go with long and a aftermarker setup. and as far as the headers not fitting there are post about them i cant seam to find them but they talk about that problem and one person i believe it was blazin said you could heat up the header with a oxy acetylene torch and bend it slightly to fit
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »
Chevelle headers are used on 2WD trucks because they tuck up higher so they won't hit the ground.

I would prefer long tubes, but sometimes they aren't practicle.  For a 4x4, there are out there, but some of them will have suspension interference.  It has been a while since I had a 4x4 Chevy and I ran manifolds.  If you get some, pay the money for some good ones.

Offline 75stepside454

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »
it really depends on the application.  & theres more to it than just long tube vs. shorty.
 But, typically long tube headers create more torque with some sacrafice to peak horsepower, while shortys or 3/4 length are the opposite, they typically give up some torue,while possibly creating more peak HP.
 I replace the full length headers that were in my truck for Sanderson 3/4 length headers. I personally didnt notice any differance in performance in my application, infact I didnt even have to adjust the carb.
 but each application is differant. If you think you need the torque, Id use long tubes however.

Offline Maintenanceman

• Registered Users
  • Older is always better
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:54:36 PM »
Ok thanks guys now heres my next question...where do I go to buy headers for a 4x4 k20? jegs? summit?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:29:14 PM by Maintenanceman »

Offline Maintenanceman

• Registered Users
  • Older is always better
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 10:11:03 PM »
bump

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 06:06:32 AM »
Well it depends on what you want. Shorty's or long tubes? I just put another set of shorty's on my mutt. I have them on my K20 too. I had them on my 88 blazer and put a set on 2 other trucks. The clearance is good, fitment is good and the best part is no leaks! If you are going for all out performance and it's not a dd go with long tubes definietley. But for more practical uses with performance gain go with the shorty's. I can take some pics today if you want to see the 88-95 shorty's on our trucks.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Maintenanceman

• Registered Users
  • Older is always better
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 08:18:04 AM »
Well I think Im going to go with the shortys that way I dont have any clearance issues and pictures would be awesome. Thanks Vile!!

Offline murraygmc

• Frequent Member
  • 85 gmc 4x4
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 01:42:38 PM »
that would be nice . im going thrugh the same thing im geting my power plant soon and i need to buy headers and do a whole new exhaust i have no isseus with emmisions i want kinda a deeep rumble ??????  ideas ???  k1500 4x4 4" lift manual thanks and sorry for jumping in
85 gmc high serria 4x4

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Maintenanceman

• Registered Users
  • Older is always better
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 05:47:06 PM »
Thanks Vile that looks sweet. What brand of headers? Are they the square port?