Author Topic: Can't Get Engine to Turn Over  (Read 14529 times)

Offline Les_Paul

• Desiring knowledge
Can't Get Engine to Turn Over
« on: December 24, 2012, 11:22:59 AM »
Hey guys!

I just bought a '73 C30 with a 350 SBC V8 Manual 4 speed Muncie Transmission.

Woke up this morning and drove to Waffle House with the wife and came home with no issues. My Uncle came over to take the truck for a spin about an hour or two later, but we couldn't even get the engine to crank. Turning the key to the "On" position the truck has power and the generator light comes on inside the dash. As soon as you turn the key to ignition position, the generator light turns off and the Temp light turns on. I checked under the hood and nothing was hot. It was still slightly warm from the drive earlier this morning, but definitely not too hot. Any ideas?

(I have had the Temp light come on with no crank before...except that time was my fault because I over-cranked the engine trying to get it started. This is my first carburator engined vehicle so I'm learning how to get the right fuel mixture on a consistent basis!)
73 C30 2WD, Single Cab, Long Bed, 350 V8, 4 Speed Muncie Manual Transmission

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
Re: Can't Get Engine to Turn Over
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 02:03:25 PM »
check the terminals to the battery.. make sure their clean and tight... and make sure the ground to the engine is good...

Offline ralphhemi

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
Check the fusible links at the starter  ,does it have a clutch switch if so try by passing it
Ralphhemi

Offline Tx_Phil

• Registered Users
Can't Get Engine to Turn Over
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 08:09:07 PM »
Had a similar issue with my 87 suburban. Truck would crank and start and as soon as you turn it off it would go completely dead. No dash lights, no headlights, not even brake lights  My problem ended up being corroded cables. The terminals were good and clean but the cables were green and oxidized within the jacket. The positive cable was bad over a foot away from the terminal. The negative was bad only about 3 inches back. Once I fixed the bad cables I had no more electrical problems.

Offline pholliday1

• 1990 V3500 Crew Cab
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 10:19:17 PM »
yea.. sounds like terminal issue
VETERAN AND LIFETIME NRA MEMBER. WHAT DO YOU STAND FOR?
1991 V3500 CREWCAB SRW 454TBI GMC
1991 v3500 crewcab SRW 454tbi 480le 6" lift
1990 V3500 crewcab Dana 60 FF 14b 5:38 ratio 40 inch 11" lift
1989 v3500 crewcab 454TBI 5" lift

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 04:24:59 AM »
Obviously waffle poisoning.

Check the actuation of the ignition rack and ignition switch.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
Obviously waffle poisoning.

That's funny !  Stupid question !  Did someone push the clutch in enough to activate the safety switch when your uncle was going to drive it ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Les_Paul

• Desiring knowledge
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:47:58 PM »
Thanks guys. I managed to start it about an hour or so later and haven't had any issues since. Maybe it is a bad cable, but right now it's working for me so I'm going to leave it alone! ;)
73 C30 2WD, Single Cab, Long Bed, 350 V8, 4 Speed Muncie Manual Transmission

Offline 1HI4x4

• Registered Users
  • V30 Crew now a shortbed.....
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 05:27:06 AM »
Tha
Thanks guys. I managed to start it about an hour or so later and haven't had any issues since. Maybe it is a bad cable, but right now it's working for me so I'm going to leave it alone! ;)

That's probably not the best move, next time it will do it in the most inconvenient place. I'm thinking something like the bar, and you will have to call the wife to come get you........... Not good..... :-)
1988 V30 Crew Cab, Cummins power, 47RH-NP205, 8" lift, 13.50x35x20 Fuel Mudders on 20x14 XD Diesels -76 offset. Soon to be repainted, seats from a 2010 Lariat to be installed.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »
Ditto on the above.  I would try and find the cause.

Offline LITTLE BLACK TRUCK

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »
I would bypass all the fusible links replace the battery cables with new ones if they are very old and replace the soleniod if the starter seems to crank good. Ive had lots of electrical and starter issues so I dont like them... On my 84 c20 I recently fixed a starting issue. The key switch would have power to the ignition but none to the starter so I guess it wore out and im not sure how to change one of them so I just ran a push button to activate the starter and use the key to turn on the ignition.
If the women dont find ya handsome they should atleast find you handy.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 08:20:38 PM »
I would bypass all the fusible links....

This is a dangerous proposition!  Fusible links are installed for a reason... they keep trucks from burning to the ground!  If there's a problem with a fusible link, it should be replaced with the appropriate service part - never bypassed.  When a fusible link melts, there's a reason for it and the link is doing its job - it's preventing the truck from burning to the ground.  The correct solution is to discover why the link melted, address the cause, and then replace the link with ~6" of fusible wire that's appropriately matched to the wire gauge of the harness it protects... http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,11972.msg45217.html#msg45217 

If you've never seen an occupied vehicle engulfed in flames, it is NOT a pretty sight!  Neither is a shop that's been consumed by electrical caused fire.  Never recommend to anyone, defeating fusible protection!

...On my 84 c20 I recently fixed a starting issue. The key switch would have power to the ignition but none to the starter so I guess it wore out and im not sure how to change one....

Assuming you verified that the neutral (clutch) safety switch is not your problem, to replace the ignition switch in your 84, you need to lower the steering column from the dash support (2 nuts) and R&R the switch from the upper side of the column (2 screws).  Hopefully, the 'push button' didn't bypass the neutral safety switch; here's why...  http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,22373.msg184821.html#msg184821

If you do many of your own repairs, a detailed repair manual is a good tool to have around.  You can also refer to Technical Pages of the forum for a trove of useful information...  http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/board,5.0.html  including wiring diagrams...  http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,11766.msg87585.html#msg87585
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »
I would bypass all the fusible links....

This is a dangerous proposition!  Fusible links are installed for a reason... they keep trucks from burning to the ground!  If there's a problem with a fusible link, it should be replaced with the appropriate service part - never bypassed.  When a fusible link melts, there's a reason for it and the link is doing its job - it's preventing the truck from burning to the ground.  The correct solution is to discover why the link melted, address the cause, and then replace the link with ~6" of fusible wire that's appropriately matched to the wire gauge of the harness it protects... http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,11972.msg45217.html#msg45217 

If you've never seen an occupied vehicle engulfed in flames, it is NOT a pretty sight!  Neither is a shop that's been consumed by electrical caused fire.  Never recommend to anyone, defeating fusible protection!

...On my 84 c20 I recently fixed a starting issue. The key switch would have power to the ignition but none to the starter so I guess it wore out and im not sure how to change one....

Assuming you verified that the neutral (clutch) safety switch is not your problem, to replace the ignition switch in your 84, you need to lower the steering column from the dash support (2 nuts) and R&R the switch from the upper side of the column (2 screws).  Hopefully, the 'push button' didn't bypass the neutral safety switch; here's why...  http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,22373.msg184821.html#msg184821

If you do many of your own repairs, a detailed repair manual is a good tool to have around.  You can also refer to Technical Pages of the forum for a trove of useful information...  http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/board,5.0.html  including wiring diagrams...  http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,11766.msg87585.html#msg87585

I see your point! Ill think before suggesting somethin in the future!  :-X

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 03:08:24 PM »
I read the thread about bypassing the Neutral safety switch and now I cant express how dumb I really am and about the fusible links.. Im just gonna read and not post anythin in the future because I am a liability....

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 03:31:13 PM »
I read the thread about bypassing the Neutral safety switch and now I cant express how dumb I really am and about the fusible links.. Im just gonna read and not post anythin in the future because I am a liability....
Don't think like that. Everybody's input is always welcomed.
Just got to remember that we don't always know the competence of other posters or the complete circumstances of the issue they are having. Also others from web searches might be reading the threads so sometimes we just need to word our posts as if everyone was non mechanically inclined. Don't take any offense to being corrected when advise is incorrect. I guarantee you no insult was intended.

I see that you are new here. Welcome to the board.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!